shooting action seq. in low light conditions?

indyrodeo9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
it was near dusk at a local ski resort and i was trying to shoot some snowboarder doing tricks.

40d in manual model, iso 1600, fast shutter & spot metering. pics get kinda dark. i'd like to use faster shutter speed but everything would be black over 500. slower shutter speed and everything's blurred. aperture can only go to 4.

any ideas? btw i follow the snowboarder as he moves.

thanks.

the only thing i can think of is a good flash and a faster lens.

so what shutter speed did you use? If it was dusk, 1600 ISO was probably still too slow for faster shutter speeds.

shutter speed was around 80 to 300 cuz i had to change it constantly. if iso 1600 is not good, which should i use? i read in manual in low light we should increase iso?

I think you need a faster lens. Like the 50mm 1.4 or maybe just a 2.8.

oh yeah here are the pics (after post process, had to pump the exposure wayy up). please critique!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22184475@N07

btw even when i put the "spot" on the snowboarder and followed his movement the pic still came out a bit blurred. was i doing something wrong?

psst...your 40d has a 3200 iso mode :thumbup: and as lifeafter said make sure it's in AI-servo mode to keep those guys in focus

Use high ISO settings, you will be able to switch them on in the custom functions, or buy yourself a big ass flash.

Faster lens is an option but its expensive, if you shoot on raw and underexpose you can lighten them up in PP but i often find this brings out a lot of noise in shadow areas when shooting on such high ISOs

Most reactions

New Topics

Back