shooting at night, the sky always ends up with a blue tint.

dannylightning

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just wondering how to stop that from happening, went out shooting tonight and got a few descent pics but i would prefer a a nice black looking sky, on the way home i was thinking maybe if i had turned the saturation down on my camera that would have fixed it. ill post a photo so you guys see what i am talking about, if i do a shorter exposure or let less light into the camera than the sky looks right but everything else ends up being to dark.

either i am doing something wrong or maybe there is a camera setting i need to change

. $DSC_0219-001.JPG

shoot in RAW, that way you can change the white balance later. The night sky is naturally more blue than black anyway though.

It depends on the location where you are shooting. Some night skies are black while some are blue. Depend on seasons as well I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sky is blue! that is fact of life, (or physics). If you let your eyes adapt to the dark and then look at the sky you will see that it is a deep blue.
To get black skies is you need to under expose the sky so that it turns black. You can do this after the event in image editing software such as photoshop or use grad ND filter on your camera to darken the sky when you take the photo but before you rush out and get a GND filter consider, you you really want a featureless black background. I personally find a deep blue sky makes a more pleasing and interesting photo than one where the sky, trees and everything else in the background merge into an amorphous black blob.

i took the pic around 10 pm, it was as dark as a night can get, 1 used a F1.8 35mm lens and i did not have a tripod with me. i can hold the camera in my hand and get shots like that at F1.8 since you don't need a long shutter time with a 1.8 lens. the sky looked nice and dark last night but it did have a slight blue tint but not anywhere near as much as it does in the photo.

picasa does not read raw photos from my camera, they all come out with a purple tint, i see quite a few people have that issue with the d5300 and picasa which is the program i use to import my photos to the computer and do light editing. i also use the program that came with my D5300 but i do not see any way to import photos, i have corel paint shop pro X6 for more advanced photo editing and any time i tried to edit a raw photo on there the photo popped up in a new window and gave me only a few editing options, instead of all the options i have with j peg. so these are reasons i have not been shooting raw or i would.

i guess there is nothing wrong with the blue sky, i have seen quite a few photos with a nice dark black/grey ish sky that look good, i was hoping there was a way to get that with out editing the photo.

If you take JPEG check what did you set for your WB and other picture controls. Nikon do have an app for importing images from camera. Check their website it should be there.

This was taken with a D5300 raw and I'm quite sure my exposure time is longer then yours and no blue sky. In fact I'll he happy if I can get some blue sky in there.

I noticed longer days and shorter nights do give a hint of blue. However, try checking your settings again.

The sky is blue! that is fact of life, (or physics)...........

Aye-yeppers! It's not just sunlight that gets scattered about in the atmosphere and creates a blue sky. All forms of light will conform to these laws of physics. Moonlight (which is really just reflected sunlight) starlight......

The sky colour would be affected by whatever light is coming from behind the tree line in that photo, a city or town, Regarding picassa not having RAW capabilities you may have got a cd with your camera titled Nikon View NX2 has a green front it came with mine, a 5100, its has RAW capabilities.

If you're shooting in a city, with a ton of lights and light pollution, that's a little different. To expose for the lights, you end up underexposing the sky a bunch and it'll be black.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back