Shooting Cats?

Britanica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I adore cats and would love to shoot them better.
I am a complete noob. I love fierce, fun, sometimes funny, and cute shots of cats.
Any tips for this?

12 gauge. I'd love to shoot them better too.

Joe

Yes, don't put blue sunglasses on them.

And... cat people, where's the outrage?? :waiting::taped sh::popcorn:

And... cat people, where's the outrage??

I've got enough of that over here. I live in a neighborhood that's overrun with feral cats. It's becoming a costly problem.

I do have a cat photo that I took in my neighbor's yard:

crime_scene_zps711d405f.jpg

$twety.jpg

$Penelope 01.jpg$Pippin 33.jpgI'm a cat lover, too, Britainaca, and over they years have taken literally thousands of shots of those who were part of our lives. Get them used to the camera (and the flash) so they are not spooked by them. Make sure you have adequate light so their eyes are not dilated (otherwise you get the 'evil death ray eyes'!). One thing works well for me is to set up a table covered by velour & something similar, entice the cats onto the table with their favorite treats, and then to have my wife wave a large feather or Mylar toy. They come to attention, and there are great shots possible. Another, using the same table setup, is to let and pamper them until they relax...maybe with a couple more treats...and then move in for some closeups.

Attachments

• $Insults.jpg
    $Insults.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 140
If we're posting pictures of our pussies - here's mine.

Greta

wantes to add: my cat is very easy going and isn't easily startled. I think it's worth leaving your camera around your cat and letting them get used to it. Then as you pick it up, they won't be afraid or curious of it

Last edited:
I adore cats and would love to shoot them better.
I am a complete noob. I love fierce, fun, sometimes funny, and cute shots of cats.
Any tips for this?

Ok, well with most critters, just like humans, focal point should be the eyes if at all possible. If you need to use a flash, best to move it off camera and if at all possible bounce it rather than having it flash directly (or somewhat indirectly) at them.

For shutter speed I usually recommend 1/200 or maybe 1/320 as a good starting point - critters move and it will help you avoid motion blur as well as give you a nice sharp image under most conditions.

Joe

12 gauge? Seriously? I'm stunned. Flabbergasted. Taken Aback.

Man even with bird shot your not going to have much left over that's edible. 410, tops.. lol

Yeah, that was over the top. I admit I said it for effect. Truth is the old sack full of rocks and, I live next to a very big river, is all I got. But now that's not an insult; that's a plan. You're cat's so dumb it would wander into Dr. Schrodinger's yard -- that's an insult.

Joe

Joe

Man even with bird shot your not going to have much left over that's edible. 410, tops.. lol

Yeah, that was over the top. I admit I said it for effect. Truth is the old sack full of rocks and, I live next to a very big river, is all I got. But now that's not an insult; that's a plan. You're cat's so dumb it would wander into Dr. Schrodinger's yard -- that's an insult.

Joe

Ok, which raises an interesting question, I mean technically they can't charge you with animal cruelty as long as the bag remains closed, right?

Science!

Lol

Yes, don't put blue sunglasses on them.

And... cat people, where's the outrage?? :waiting::taped sh::popcorn:

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to try practicing some of the Buddhist teachings I've been reading lately that says to feel compassion for others. Someone who would actually take pleasure in killing must be suffering from something bad, so I should have compassion for that person. And if they're just joking about killing cats in a thread started by a cat-lover, then they are just being jackasses and aren't worth the energy it takes to be outraged.

And if it's robbins, well then he's just being robbins and we don't even notice that anymore ;)

Joe

Ok, which raises an interesting question, I mean technically they can't charge you with animal cruelty as long as the bag remains closed, right?

Science!

Lol

And on a more serious note: U.S. Faces Growing Feral Cat Problem

All kidding aside, I'm not actually looking forward to drowning a bunch of cats. I may wind up there however. There's at least 3 ferals now living under my next door neighbor's shed (vacant house for sale). The city can't deal with them and the folks who let their cats run loose in the neighborhood and caused the problem aren't spending their weekends collecting them up and taking care of them.

And yes, I probably would have done something by now except every time I bring it up my wife says, "if so and so sees you in the yard with traps she'll call and complain."

When I was about 7 years old we had a stray dog pack problem in the neighborhood. The neighborhood was suburban to semi-rural unlike my current city neighborhood. My Dad was afraid the dogs would attack the children who played there and so he took matters into his own hands. He was an archer. He took 1/2 a dozen arrows and cut the points off. Then he got our tinker toy set and took the round wooden wheels and glued them onto the shafts. I imagine they'd raise quite a welt but they weren't lethal. A few days of that and the dogs found someplace else to spend their time. Today he'd be arrested for that.

Back to kidding -- I say we do like the Taiwanese and open some restaurants.

Joe

As for advice for shooting photographs of cats, beyond all the good ideas already mentioned, I would suggest trying a few when they're all drunk and lolling in the afternoon light. That when they seem to be too comfy and mellow to bother running away from the camera :D Plus, interesting light and a chance for some high-contrast shots.

Glaring Mrs Parker by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Wistful Zelda by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back