Shooting for a hair stylist or barber (from the perspective of a hairstylist)

andrewdoeshair

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I'm a new guy here, and I don't want this to come off like I think I know anything that any of you don't know, but I really like the community here and I want to contribute anything I can that may be of even a little bit of help. I wanted to mention this because I had a hard time working with a few photographers before I clicked with one. After I stuck with one photographer for a few projects he started seeing what I was requesting, which I wanted not based on any photographic experience, but based on years of experience in the hair industry. The guy who shot for me repeatedly had never shot for a stylist or barber before me, but later went on to shoot for other hairstylists and now has taken award winning photos of hair. I'm not saying this is because of what I had requested of him, but it may have helped. I don't know how often any of you have been hired to shoot hair, but I've hired half a dozen photographers in the past for this, so I imagine someone somewhere is also looking to hire one. Friends of mine who have won hairdressing competitions have paid $20,000 for photographers to do these shoots, it's mind blowing.

Barbers look at two separate and conflicting aspects of a fade in a haircut, and ideally when you have a perfect head with perfect hair you can have both, but most of the time photography and lighting is what will give you the appearance of both. The hair blending from short (or bald) to long should create a strong, straight angle coming off of the head, but from the wrong angle a photo can make this line crooked or usually will show a dip or ripple as the plane of hair gets longer and leaves the scalp. This is because if you cut a perfectly straight line coming up off the head, you leave dark areas anywhere the head dips in, so barbers will usually bend this plane inward to remove shadows from the scalp. This is the "shape vs shade" debate and in hair forums it's argued about daily. Ideally, you would end up with a perfect shape creating strong lines coming off of the scalp, and also a smooth transition from short to long without any dark spots, but when working with an imperfect head (this is most heads) you have to decide to compromise the shape to save the shade, or to compromise the shade to save the shape.

When a barber or stylist is looking showcase their work, they want both of these aspects to be on display. Light the scalp from the bottom upward to make the transition from short to long hair look as smooth and uniform as possible. The shade that the hair produces creating a uniform look is more important than the lengths of the hairs actually being uniform. If you look at the picture below you'll see longer hairs at the temple creating the same shade as shorter hairs nears the dense back side of the haircut. The first few photographers I worked with shot and edited the photos in a way that the blend from short to long looked really choppy and texturized, more so than it appeared in real life. That's the opposite of what you want in a hair photo, even if the overall aesthetic is rough and textured. You want to see a smooth, clean blend in the fade. I also got a lot of broken and wobbly lines on the edges of my haircuts from these first photographers. The silhouettes should always be strong and very geometric, building off of, emphasizing, or improving the natural lines of the head. Haircutting is alllll geometry, and even an unruly mess of hair should fit more or less into a strong geometric shape. Look for that shape and emphasize it in your photos.

When you are looking at the model, ask the stylist what shapes they see in the hair. My first few photographers didn't ask this, and I kept trying to explain it to them while they were ignoring it and getting shots they liked. The keeper photographer now leads with that question any time we work together. Now he usually sees it before I even say anything. I know having a hovering client is annoying, but have the stylist stand over your shoulder so they can see the hair from where you can see it, that way they can jump in to make adjustments. The first time I did a shoot I got the hair "right" and walked away to the other side of the head (where it looked perfect), only to get photos back where a single hair was flying out of place.

Again, I don't mention any of this to pretend I'm a photographer (yet) but just to share some of my experiences in hopes of helping at least one person somewhere one time. There are dozens of huge hair competitions that are entered with photographs, and most hairdressers and barbers don't enter them because they don't have easy access to photographers. One barber I know in London had so much success with his hair photos that he quit cutting hair and now flies all over the world doing photos for other barbers. It could be fun and lucrative work to reach out to the more stylish salons and barbershops near you and offer these services.

This is my photo, not one that I got from my photographer. The stuff I usually shoot for instagram isn't as "traditional haircut photo" as this, as I'm trying to experiment with breaking those rules (there's haircut photos like this to inspire haircutters and win hair competitions, then there are haircut photos to appeal to someone who doesn't know hair. They're different. I'm trying to learn to do both). But when the job is hair focused, I hope that these tips will be very helpful.
shape vs shade.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot, and really useful advice. I've been doing headshots for hair stylists at a new Portland salon over the last month, and next month I'll be doing more hair focused shots. I'm going to practice some of this.

On the 20k job, just curious how much of that goes to the photographer. I'm sure a large portion of that fee went to MUA, hair, assistants, gear rentals, location rental, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to hear if the photographer walked away with half of the fee.

I need a hair cut, I'll bring my Fuji and probably get my ass kicked by one of the farmers. A $12 ass kicking

Great shot, and really useful advice. I've been doing headshots for hair stylists at a new Portland salon over the last month, and next month I'll be doing more hair focused shots. I'm going to practice some of this.

On the 20k job, just curious how much of that goes to the photographer. I'm sure a large portion of that fee went to MUA, hair, assistants, gear rentals, location rental, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to hear if the photographer walked away with half of the fee.

I don't recall the details of the expenses, but my friends who won (the competition was NAHA, the North American Hairdressing Awards, which they won in two categories for two or three years in a row. It's the ultimate in bragging rights if you win. Haircut prices double over night) said they spent over $20k on the shoots that won, and mentioned that THAT photographer wins every year. So I don't know if he was a rock star pocketing $20k or if he was a part of a group that made $20k. I wasn't thinking about photography back then and didn't consider whether they meant combined costs or JUST a photographer. They had organized my shoot for me (it was my first time entering and my first time doing hair FOR photos), they were sort of mentoring me on editorial styling. We borrowed a photography student to shoot it and for models I asked punks in Portland if they wanted a free haircut. Wardrobe was from the Goodwill. I think our shoot cost like $300 including the crock pot full of nacho cheese and the case of PBR.

I don't recall the details of the expenses, but my friends who won (the competition was NAHA, the North American Hairdressing Awards, which they won in two categories for two or three years in a row. It's the ultimate in bragging rights if you win. Haircut prices double over night) said they spent over $20k on the shoots that won, and mentioned that THAT photographer wins every year. So I don't know if he was a rock star pocketing $20k or if he was a part of a group that made $20k. I wasn't thinking about photography back then and didn't consider whether they meant combined costs or JUST a photographer. They had organized my shoot for me (it was my first time entering and my first time doing hair FOR photos), they were sort of mentoring me on editorial styling. We borrowed a photography student to shoot it and for models I asked punks in Portland if they wanted a free haircut. Wardrobe was from the Goodwill. I think our shoot cost like $300 including the crock pot full of nacho cheese and the case of PBR.
Are you based in Portland Oregon?

In many cases, those photographers who produce incredible award winning work may be rockstars, but they rarely get there on their own. There's usually a team effort made to get there, especially in the beauty industry. But I can't say for sure as I'm only assuming about this photographer.

Are you based in Portland Oregon?

In many cases, those photographers who produce incredible award winning work may be rockstars, but they rarely get there on their own. There's usually a team effort made to get there, especially in the beauty industry. But I can't say for sure as I'm only assuming about this photographer.

Nah, I'm not based in Portland, but I'm there once or twice a year for work (haircutting seminars, usually). I love the place. That shoot I mentioned was in Portland (with The Teal's Salon, although I'm not sure if that salon is still around). I work all over the place these days, but I'm based in Southern California. Your portraits are amazing. Next time I'm in Portland or next time you're in LA I'd love to work with you.

Thanks for taking the time to share this info. Even as an old baldy I found it interesting and appreciated your willingness to share what you've learned. :abnormal::thumbyo:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back