Shooting from Vienna's Butterfly House (Looking for honest critiques!)

Fiji-Fujii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
fiji-fujii.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wanted to share the best photos I took during my visit at Vienna's Butterfly House. (。・ω・。)ノ♡

Please keep in mind that I'm still a total beginner, I'm still learning and trying to improve, so helpful feedback is greatly appreciated. :D

Camera + lens used: Sony SLT-A58 + DT 3.5-5.6/18-55 SAM II, 0.25m/0.82ft, ⌀55

DSC02788.png

Emerald Swallowtail (Papilio palinurus)

DSC02817.png

Forest Giant Owl (Caligo eurilochus)

DSC02867.png

Malachite (Siproeta stelenes)

DSC02849.png

Common Mormon (Papilio polytes)

DSC02829.png

Atlas Moth (Attacus atlas)

#4 is great. good framing, good background, and it really stands out against the leaf.

Agree that #4 is a winner!

#4 is the best photo of the set as far as framing and lighting. But that Atlas Moth is beautiful!!!
I would love to go to a butterfly house some day! :)

Before I forget, Welcome to TPF!!!:wav::)

I love your Dr. Seuss quote! :)

#4 for me too. But, I dig the Atlas moth. Just wish it didn't have the lower part of the wings blurred. Good stuff none the less.

#4 for me too. But, I dig the Atlas moth. Just wish it didn't have the lower part of the wings blurred. Good stuff none the less.
Thanks a bunch, and yeah, I haven't quite figured out how to get rid of that effect yet. I have a couple of other (unedited) photos of the same moth, but they're all blurry in some parts. I'd post them for you to look at if they weren't so large, and I don't have enough time to edit them right now because need to get to bed soon since I have work tomorrow. In any case, I still need to read into how my cam actually works, haha! (I'll keep looking for tips here on the forum.)

Some very nice shots here. A few suggestions - it will help reviewers if you number your images when you post more than one or 2. That way, I don't have to go flipping back and forth to make sure I have the right image to comment on.

First one. Nice and sharp. My only comment is that the background is a bit distracting. Maybe a larger aperture to give you a shallower depth of field (DOF) would help.

Second/Third ones. The problem here is that you have cropped off the tops of their wings and good composition would suggest that this is not something you want to do.

Fourth one. This is a winner as others have pointed out. The only problem is that the subject is centered in the frame. Moving it to the lower thirds position would have been a better composition. If you do not know about the rule of thirds for positioning subjects in the frame, then you might want to check it out.

Last one. You can get all the wings in focus, if you remember to keep the plane of the sensor in your camera parallel to the plane of the wings. If they are at an angle, then you risk having a part of the wings out of focus as has happened here.

I hope this helps.

WesternGuy

Not me. Wouldn't be caught dead at one. Lol

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

Kansas has several free zoos that are worth stopping if you are going past anyway! :)

Some very nice shots here. A few suggestions - it will help reviewers if you number your images when you post more than one or 2. That way, I don't have to go flipping back and forth to make sure I have the right image to comment on.

First one. Nice and sharp. My only comment is that the background is a bit distracting. Maybe a larger aperture to give you a shallower depth of field (DOF) would help.

Second/Third ones. The problem here is that you have cropped off the tops of their wings and good composition would suggest that this is not something you want to do.

Fourth one. This is a winner as others have pointed out. The only problem is that the subject is centered in the frame. Moving it to the lower thirds position would have been a better composition. If you do not know about the rule of thirds for positioning subjects in the frame, then you might want to check it out.

Last one. You can get all the wings in focus, if you remember to keep the plane of the sensor in your camera parallel to the plane of the wings. If they are at an angle, then you risk having a part of the wings out of focus as has happened here.

I hope this helps.

WesternGuy
Thanks so much for the critique and helpful tips! :) I'll try to keep that in mind next time. I've been told to look into composition before, and I'm working on it!

Most reactions

Back