Shooting in a tent during the day.

malkav41

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,

I'm going to the local Oktoberfest this weekend, and wanted to shoot some photos of the German polka band, and dancers.

My problem is that it's an open on all sides tent, and the daylight is majorly bright behind them causing them to be silhouetted.

What would be the best way to handle this? Exposure comp, fill flash, something else?

By the way, I shoot film, so I have no way to "Chimp" the photo.

Thanks!
Ed

Last edited:
The camera will most likely tell you to use a faster shutter speed because of the light shining in from behind them. To counter act you could just use a slower shutter speed. It will blow out what is behind them, but at least they will be a the correct exposure.

yeah, use a flash, but i wouldn't worry too much about the light behind them, if they are in a tent then the light won't be behind them until sunset ish time and you won't get morning light because no matter what kind of band they are, band guys don't get up early ha ha

Mike Leggero

http://www.michaelleggero.com

Use the FORCE :)
nikon-sb900-reviews.jpg

Bounce flash from the ceiling of the tent which I suppose would be somewhat low in height. Might work well, worth the try if you have a decent speedlight.

Or you could over expose the background for good subject exposure. If you are under the tent as well use your camera's light meter and take a reading off your hand. Use this exposure reading for your subjects that are under the tent.

yeah, use a flash, but i wouldn't worry too much about the light behind them, if they are in a tent then the light won't be behind them until sunset ish time and you won't get morning light because no matter what kind of band they are, band guys don't get up early ha ha
It's not just a problem when the sun is low enough to actually shine directly into the tent...it will be a problem anytime the area visible outside, is brighter than the inside of the tent, which will probably be anytime during the day.

So yes, one option is to use flash. As long as you watch where the flash is aimed, the inside of a tent can be an ideal surface to bounce the flash. This might be tricky if you are shooting film and don't have a TTL capable flash.

The other option would be to just meter for the interior of the tent and let the exterior be blown out.

Bounce flash from the ceiling of the tent which I suppose would be somewhat low in height. Might work well, worth the try if you have a decent speedlight.
If the tent isn't white, any bounced light will pick up the color of the tent and cause a general cast.

Most tents have a peaked top which will cause 2 problems:
  1. It will scatter the light (less light on the subjects)
  2. the distance the light travels will vary by the height of the tent peak (less light on the subjects - inverse square law)
With bounced light you also have to make sure your subjects don't wind up with 'racoon eyes'.

If the tent isn't white, any bounced light will pick up the color of the tent and cause a general cast.

Most tents have a peaked top which will cause 2 problems:
  1. It will scatter the light (less light on the subjects)
  2. the distance the light travels will vary by the height of the tent peak (less light on the subjects - inverse square law)
With bounced light you also have to make sure your subjects don't wind up with 'racoon eyes'.

It is difficult for any of us to make a decent estimate as to what flash lighting technique will work since we have no idea what the tent is constructed of or it's size. That being said a general recommendation is - bounce :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back