PhilGarber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
philipofnj.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi-

So, for a while now I've been dying to do a photography project in NYC. Either on The Hudson (and consequently the George Washing Bridge) or on Broadway. I've seen some great shots of NYC and the GWB but I'm just scared of being labeled a terrorist because im taking photos of the bridge or some cool skyscraper. Is there any resource out there (either a book or on the web) that deals just with shooting in cities? I know that Krages deals with general photo law-I'm just looking for something more spefic.

Thanks,

Phil,

Last edited:
Well first off remember many of the incidents are more isolated than the media (And forums) lead us to belive - its not totalyl bad provided you keep a level head.
Also if you look like a tourist they are more likley to just ignor you than anything else.
Further a good defence is even if your not pro - but to look like one - get a website up and a gallery (even just a flickr one or a blog) and then get some cheap business cards made up with your name - email and website on them. That way even though you are not a "pro" you look more like one - and aside from press passes (which you should not need and probably won't be able to get) there are no official groups or such which you have to be a member of.

Also remember that in any encounter be polite to the officers, yet do be firm if they are performing their duties wrong (the laws are large and complex and even the police can get them wrong sometimes). Its handy to carry some of those legal fact cards that are around which outline your rights and the sepcific laws that state them - find at least one good one for the US and carry that with you in your pocket

Carry a legal fact card and be polite with the police officers if they stop you. So long as the photos are taken from a public spot and the buildings are not sensitive (i.e. be careful around police stations and military bases) then, pretty much, you're in the right.

i've walked around shooting in NYC a couple dozen times and i've never even thought about being labeled a terrorist or even being questioned by cops, i wouldn't worry about it if i were you

I was in NYC back in October and never had any problem. I actually wanted to photography the subway coming in and out of the station so I asked an NYPD Sergeant about it. He stated that there is no harm unless posted, of which he said that there were none. LOL. I was able to take a few. No one paid any attention to me. Hope this helps. When in doubt ask one of the Officers. If they say no then move on or wait until they leave!

In L.A. (also a major city), the problems aren't the real police, it's the rent-a-cops and business owners.

I've shot subways and some bridges and only got stopped once when I was in the park between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges on the Brooklyn side. It's private property but I told the guy I'm taking the pictures for my self so he didn't say anything. Also I was shooting the subway with my 70-200 and only a couple of people looked at me weird and that's it. NYC is not that bad :p.

Also if you want, find the photographers bill of rights and print it out in case you get stopped. Remember, do not let them review the pictures. it's your property

Honestly, even if you carry around that bill of rights, common sense dictates that instead of wasting time trying to education some moron rent-a-cop, just move on and find another location. Better to be shooting than wasting time arguing.

In NYC there are likely thousands of places to shoot from without issues and if one spot doesn't work, find another. Also, go light, If you are carrying 2 camera bodies, flashes, reflectors and stands, expect to get stopped a lot more than if you just have a single body and maybe a lens or 2 in a nondescript backpack.

If you are carrying 2 camera bodies, flashes, reflectors and stands, expect to get stopped a lot more than if you just have a single body and maybe a lens or 2 in a nondescript backpack.

I keep hearing that kind of thing, and I don't get it. I would think that terrorists would try to 'spy' pictures. They wouldn't carry tons of gear and be obvious about it. So why would a cop who saw someone setting up with reflectors and stands etc.. think they are a terrorist ?

The cop might not now what those are lol. Now I remembered that I got stopped once. I was shooting in Times Square at night with my tripod and a cop asked me to get off the street and that I could shoot on the sidewalk. lol

I keep hearing that kind of thing, and I don't get it. I would think that terrorists would try to 'spy' pictures. They wouldn't carry tons of gear and be obvious about it. So why would a cop who saw someone setting up with reflectors and stands etc.. think they are a terrorist ?

Its not about terrorism, really. It is about lack of knowledge, lack of understanding and a strong desire to have a power trip on the back of some poor guy holding a camera or two.

In other cases, it is about money... as the person who is a serious amateur with all this equipment will likely be asked if he picked up his permit to shoot in that area of NYC and if not, asked to pack it up and move on.

Just a quick note about people shooting... France and the province of Quebec (so mainly Montreal and Quebec City) are under a different set of rules when it comes to taking photographs of random people in public.

I believe the details are that in any other country in the world, the photographer owns the rights to the image he takes, regardless of whats in it. While in France and Quebec, the person in the picture owns the rights to their image, and thus the image cannot be used for distribution, profit or promotion without consent from the individual.

I believe this is how it works, someone correct me if I am wrong.
So if you are shooting in the streets of Montreal, you need to keep that in mind when you decide what to do with the pictures.

And also, it is illegal to shoot pictures in the Montreal metro. You need to get consent from the STM (Montreal Transport people), who will charge you money and make you pay the salary of the two rent-a-cops that they will hire to follow you around when you are shooting in off hours (between 2am and 6am). Happened to a friend of mine a year or so ago, and this is what was told to him.

Most reactions

Back