Shooting in the gym. need help on setting!

feRRari4756

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys my sister has a cheerleading competition coming up and it will be held in a gym. It either has flurescent or tungsten lighting. Whcih one is used in a gym?

and another question, i would like to shoot at the highest shutter speed possible and lowest Iso possbile with an aperture of about 5-6.

Is there anyone out there who does kinda professional sports photography in a gym to tell me what settings and white balance they use?

ALso, I am using a 200mm zoom lens, with no flash. and the action will be about 70 yards away.

Thanks

BTW, i was thinking a sutter speed of abouto 1/300, aperture of f/5, and ISO of about 640.

Do you think thatll work?

(I have a canon 30d)

BTW, i was thinking a sutter speed of abouto 1/300, aperture of f/5, and ISO of about 640.
It's imposible for us to tell...it will depend solely on the light in the gym that you are in.

That being said, I really don't think that will cut it. At F5 and 1/300 in a gym, you might be looking at ISO 1600 or 3200....maybe not even that.

try to get there early and test out various settings, you'll eventually find one that will suitably work

Ohh. Well its just like standard gym lighting very bright. but i will probably get an orangy tint from teh floor.

Ohh. Well its just like standard gym lighting very bright
You might think it's bright, but your camera's light meter will probably have another option ;)

Woahh. I was never thinking thta much. SO is there really a good way to get super crisp shots with little noise in a gym?

Woahh. I was never thinking thta much. SO is there really a good way to get super crisp shots with little noise in a gym?
Use a lens with a maximum aperture of F2.8...or better yet, F1.8 or F1.4 etc.

Okay, but then wouldnt the persons head be in focus but the whole body be out of focus (if i wsa focusing for the head)?

and if i changed the metering or something would it help?

Okay, but then wouldnt the persons head be in focus but the whole body be out of focus (if i wsa focusing for the head)?
Large apertures do give you a shallow DOF...but if the body and the head are on the same plane (the same distance from the camera, they will both be in focus). Besides, at 70 yards you should have plenty enough DOF to get a whole person...although, a person won't be very big at 70 yards with only a 200mm lens.

and if i changed the metering or something would it help?

Yes but if that is the only way to get the shot thats what you have to do or could could shoot at F6 have have a blurred shot

metering modes will make no difference to the amount of light hitting the sensor, you either have enough light and get correct exposure or not enough

ahh mann lol. okay. when my fastest lens is my 50mm 1.8 and thats not enough zoom.
my next lens in my 200mm f/4. do you think thatll be fast enough? With an iso of 1600 or lower and my aperture set at f/4? or do you think my shutter will STILL have to be set low?

like how would this person get this shot:
nets43_resize.jpg

or this shot:
korver.jpg

its the same lighting. do you think he used an aperture of like f/1.4?

Most reactions

Back