Shooting in the gym. need help on setting!

looks as if he may have been using a slower shutter speed... maybe 1/60- 1/80 as the ball and the hands are a little blury

Just did some cheerleading shots. ISO1600, F/2.8 1/250sec... That was the best I could do and not get any noise.

A press passes defiantly gets you close to the action.
Also make sure to due a custom white balance. Most likely there will be a combination of light mercury vapor, daylight, florescent.
Shoot RAW to make the adjustments easier in the end.
If the only shoots you can get are at a lower shutter speed try the panning technique.
Good luck, and bring lots of flash cards.

Pro sports arenas will usually have powerful strobe (flash) lighting mounted up near the ceiling. The photographers will then have wireless triggers on their cameras, to fire the lights when they take a photo.

Not to mention that pro sports will usually have much better ambient lighting than a typical gym.

HERE is an article about how S.I. set up lights in an arena for the Final Four.

Okay guys thanks for all your GREAT responses!

jlykins- If you dont mind, could i see 2 or 3 shots that you mangaged to get with those settings?

And I will be getting a press pass (theyre not required where Im shooting). So I can get about 20-30 yardsd away from the action.

Do you guys reccomend I use a Monopod?

Unfortunatley, they will not have the overhead flashes set up and i do not have an external flash (not that it would do much at that distance anyway).

And is there certain thinkgs to look for when setting white balance? Like how do i know when it is set correctly? any links to tutorials?

THANKS!

I shoot basketball in an NCAA D3 gym at 1600, 1/400, f/2.8 though I've changed settings around from time to time. You can check out the sports section of my site (link in signature) for a bunch of basketball shots. I usually shoot with a 70-200/2.8.

I also shoot volleyball, at 85mm, f/1.2, ISO400, 1/400.

Okay guys thanks for all your GREAT responses!

jlykins- If you dont mind, could i see 2 or 3 shots that you mangaged to get with those settings?

And I will be getting a press pass (theyre not required where Im shooting). So I can get about 20-30 yardsd away from the action.

Do you guys reccomend I use a Monopod?

Unfortunatley, they will not have the overhead flashes set up and i do not have an external flash (not that it would do much at that distance anyway).

And is there certain thinkgs to look for when setting white balance? Like how do i know when it is set correctly? any links to tutorials?

THANKS!

For gymnastics I don't use a monopod, or tripod because they are moving too fast. Here are a few shots from the last event:

DSC_7710.jpg

DSC_7817.jpg

DSC_7973.jpg

DSC_8412.jpg

DSC_1877.jpg

Thanks for posting them!

RESULTS ARE IN! lol

Yesterday, I went to the gym that I will be shooting during a basketball game (even though I am shooting cheerleading). I think the photos came out pretty good considering I only have a f/4 lens. If I had an f/2.8, I think they would of came out amazing.

Here are some of the shots. Please tell me what you think. These were all ran through noise ninja.

MY SETTINGS: Aperture: f/4 ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/125

3187336933_690c0dd8c5.jpg

3187336861_a6b6765449.jpg

3187336773_3c71baa7b6.jpg

3188178072_9464057abd.jpg

3188177944_873030c45d.jpg

True that they are a little underexposed, but you're on the right track for sure. I think with the equipment, you did the best that you could.

True that they are a little underexposed, but you're on the right track for sure. I think with the equipment, you did the best that you could.

I agree its really tough to shoot in gyms I have tried a few times with less than desirable results.

Thanks for all your input. I did not use an on camera flash. I agree, I i had a better lens, like a 200mm f/2.8, i think the pics would come out great.

And I did play around with shutter settings a bit. If i were to drop down to 1/60, dont you think that it would be very blurrry?

The basketball in all these shots are blurry and i was using 1/125...

And also, If i took them in RAW, cant I just shoot at 1/125 (they would be a little underexposed, but freeze the action), and then adjust the exposure on the computer to brighten them up?

Thanks for all your input. I did not use an on camera flash. I agree, I i had a better lens, like a 200mm f/2.8, i think the pics would come out great.

And I did play around with shutter settings a bit. If i were to drop down to 1/60, dont you think that it would be very blurrry?

The basketball in all these shots are blurry and i was using 1/125...

And also, If i took them in RAW, cant I just shoot at 1/125 (they would be a little underexposed, but freeze the action), and then adjust the exposure on the computer to brighten them up?

You need about 1/250 minimum, i always shoot in raw but if you underexpose and bring back in raw you will have lots of noise, what you need is the right lens for the job

Okay thanks. Thats what I thought. Is a f/2.8 fast enough? (I will be getting a zoom lens so like a f/1.8 is practical)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back