Shooting Indoors

skeides

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sister's wants me to shoot her friends going away party. It's going to be shoot indoor with my canon rebel xt w/ a sigma 28-108mm lens. I'm thinking of doing a manual focus, with flash and setting the camera mode on one of the pre-programmed modes (the one that looks like a face) because that's the only way I know how to get the flash to come on. so suggestions, and how do i turn the flash on in any mode (M,P,AP,Tv)

oh and it's incandescent lighting

You should shoot manual with a big aperture and a little higher iso so your shutterspeed wont have to be too slow.

You should shoot manual with a big aperture and a little higher iso so your shutterspeed wont have to be too slow.

I would definitely not shoot full manual, especially as it sounds like you are still learning the basics of handling your camera. I would shoot Av with the aperture wide open (at least, assuming you are doing mostly portraits? More specific info on what you're trying to capture would help), and avoid flash if possible (really depends on how bright it is). I would set white balance to the "incandescent" preset (generally a light bulb).

To put the flash up, there is usually a "flash up" button. I don't shoot Canon, but this should be on the first few pages of your manual.

On second thought, maybe you are better off with the face. Have you played with any of the manual modes before? If you're not sure what you're doing and accidentally shoot the whole part at f/22 EV -2, that would be a serious problem.

I would definitely not shoot full manual, especially as it sounds like you are still learning the basics of handling your camera. I would shoot Av with the aperture wide open (at least, assuming you are doing mostly portraits? More specific info on what you're trying to capture would help), and avoid flash if possible (really depends on how bright it is). I would set white balance to the "incandescent" preset (generally a light bulb).

To put the flash up, there is usually a "flash up" button. I don't shoot Canon, but this should be on the first few pages of your manual.

On second thought, maybe you are better off with the face. Have you played with any of the manual modes before? If you're not sure what you're doing and accidentally shoot the whole part at f/22 EV -2, that would be a serious problem.

thanks for the responses. I did shoot mostly portrait pictures, and some shots that were a little too far away. I took the photo's already, but still wanted to know the correct way to shoot the photo's.

When I was at the place to shoot the photos it seemed like my shutter speed was at around 20. This is way to low for a steady hand so I thought that maybe flash was the best option. Then again my iso was on 200 I believe also, so if I would have adjusted that to say 400 or higher I probably wouldn't have needed flash.

So a majority of the photo's came out pretty good in terms of lighting. The only real problem I had was depth of field settings. It was also hard to get the camera to focus on one particular thing because the camera didnt really have all that much light to even focus, and even when i set it to manual focus the red dot that appears on the screen that tells you if things are in focus wasn't really appearing unless I took my time.

I'm kinda scared though to shoot in full manual because I don't really know how my pictures are going to turn out. I guess I could just look at my light meter though, but sometimes it seems like it is inaccurate (i guess only in Tv and av mode)

welp here are the pictures. tear them apart if you wish

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

Over all, I would say they are pretty good. Except for #3-a little on the blurry side.

for future reference, as elemental said, there is a button for the flash, on my 400D its just by the EOS lettering on the front..its got a little flash picture/logo thing

Most reactions

Back