I'm a guy who is on the fence here. I find I use many of the creative zone modes ( which includes M) . I usually shoot in Ap of Tv and I have some custom settings set up (C1,C2,C3 on a 40D). I shoot a lot of field trials( hunting dog competitions) the action at times is very fast. I also do a lot of wildlife photography and time is of the essence many times.
When the action is fast paced and it takes all you have to just to look through the view finder and acquire the subject, I use Tv, but more often than not I use the sport mode in the basic (auto) zone.
When it comes done to it, I sell photos and how I get the best ones has little to do with my ego. the truth is (at field trials I probably shoot and sell more photos shot in the sport mode than any other mode) I simply cannot change settings ( shutter speed , aperture, ISO, and so forth ) and still get the shot in time allowed to get the shot!
A good photographer will do what it takes to get the best shot no matter mode he/she has to rely on. If time permits, full manuel gives the photographer complete creative control over his work. Yet technology has given all of us the benifit to help us get the shot we need.
Sometimes using the basic modes is nothing more different than us relying on are cameras techno advances in being able to use higher iso's, better ccd's and cmos's, light sensors, AF points and such.
If someone says point blank that using a camera in manuel mode alone is the only way to take a shot and do it right, well that person has missed the boat completely and if he expects photography to be his/her livlihood than he/she will be living on beans and macaroni and cheese while the rest of us who use what technology has given us can have that nice dinner and bottle of wine once and awhile
