Shooting on black Plexi glass

barfastic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys,

Its been a while since my last post. Ive been busy with my computer builds and work :(

I finally have a computer build completed, and i have purchased a nice 70cm X 100cm black plexi sheet to put my "model" on.

heres a quick drawing of my setup

Top down view:
topdown.png

What i see from ground level:
groundlevel.png

(Greens are softboxes, grey is background, red is camera, and black is plexi)

my question is, i got a dark gray so that i can shoot at it with a strobe+gel to get free coloured backgrounds, but whenever i get the correct amout of lighting i want on my subject, my background can be seen... what am i doing wrong? did i have to buy a black background? and then edit it out in photoshop?

im sure i can edit it out now, aswell, but is anything i can do, to make my life a LITTLE bit easier?

Thanks in Advance!
Barf

unfortunately im at work, so i dont ahve access to my memory cards :(

the distance is about 50cm.

when working with something small i can increase that distance, but when working with an entire computer case, i wont be able too, because the white wall will show...

when working with something small i can increase that distance, but when working with an entire computer case, i wont be able too, because the white wall will show...

If you have the space, move the camera further away from the subject and use a longer lens to increase the relative size of the background. This will help you get all 'background' behind the large cases, instead of seeing some white walls.

With the camera set at shutter/flash sync speed, dial down your aperture until the background looks the way you want it to, whether that's a color shade/depth, black, white, or whatever.

Then, when you have that background nailed down, adjust the light on your subject to taste without changing the light on your background. Do not let that light further influence your background. Use gobos, flags, snoots, reflectors, more lights, or whatever it takes to accomplish that.

If you're limited on lighting, you may have to do more work to balance the way a single light influences both the subject and the background to get the effect you want, but it can be done.

Keep in mind though that you can pick up fairly inexpensive lights that will do the job from Vivitar, or the Chinese knockoffs like Yongnuo's offerings, and the more lights you have available to you, the easier it gets to pull off that sort of thing.

With the camera set at shutter/flash sync speed, dial down your aperture until the background looks the way you want it to, whether that's a color shade/depth, black, white, or whatever.

Then, when you have that background nailed down, adjust the light on your subject to taste without changing the light on your background. Do not let that light further influence your background. Use gobos, flags, snoots, reflectors, more lights, or whatever it takes to accomplish that.

If you're limited on lighting, you may have to do more work to balance the way a single light influences both the subject and the background to get the effect you want, but it can be done.

Keep in mind though that you can pick up fairly inexpensive lights that will do the job from Vivitar, or the Chinese knockoffs like Yongnuo's offerings, and the more lights you have available to you, the easier it gets to pull off that sort of thing.

i have a sb700 and a sb900 at my disposal, with a bunch of light modifiers for the sb900.

ill get down to some more testing today...

Most reactions

Back