Shooting portraits in a snowy environment -- tips?

All of them, yes, haha. The concepts are different and more complicated though. So we may give her one more shot.

Her complaint? Too cold. Which I get 100%. But the forecast hasn’t changed all week, and we confirmed twice, haha.

It sounds like she doesn't really want to do this (not out in the cold anyway). Is she an actual working model or one of the proverbial 'found on craigslist' types? I'm thinking if it was a friend, she might be up for trying it and willing to stand there freezing. If it's paid (and well paid) I imagine similar shoots have been done with accommodations made for the cold to insure the model's comfort.

Since you have more time, maybe you and your buddy (if you haven't already) should go thru this step by step. Like, we'll do a couple of shots over by this one thing, hop in the car to warm up, then go to this other thing, hop out and get a couple of shots, back in the car to warm up, etc.

I've done sports where you learn to work fast, but it took a good bit of practice and learning and years of being a photographer prior to doing sports to be able to work fast as things happen where you can only grab a shot or two or three.

I don't know how soon your friend needs these photos but maybe it's going to have to be one more try then figure something else out (and at this rate probably after Christmas), or maybe let her know you're going to not going ahead with this due to the weather and holidays etc. and thank her for being willing to model, etc. and instead of trying to schedule with her just move on. To Plan Z at this rate! lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back