Shooting portraits in a snowy environment -- tips?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by JonA_CT, Dec 8, 2017.

1. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I might buy one of those for when I'm brewing beer outside, haha...but it would melt the snow and look weird in this situation.

2. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Not necessarily as the one I have is an infrared meaning you feel the heat but it doesn't heat the surrounding area and it would be no different in situating it than a light stand

3. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd 'adjust' the concept to indoors with fake snow like Smoke's kid and dog portraits!

I'm kidding, I think... but yeah, that's a good idea to get set while the model has on her coat. Have her or you guys bring blankets and allow for a break or two or a few in the car. You might be doing good if she isn't shaking and shivering and unable to hold a pose, I would be!! lol but then I'm someone behind the camera not in front of it.

Of your cell shots I liked the one of the tree. And I think that brick round tower looks interesting, maybe either of those with the ocean in the background and the car warming up in that circular driveway...

Aren't you shooting Raw? or am I missing something? (Which is entirely possible.) I haven't shot JPEGs in a long time but it seems like that's when I had to mess with EC. I mean, if you shoot Raw you can do a certain amount of adjusting later. You sure picked something tricky to try! lol All I can say is you better work fast, she can't stand there freezing waiting for you to putz around with your camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    read the manual on how your camera handles EC with TTL flash if you really wanna use it.

Check you d600 menus too, there's a setting to change how EC with flash too.

if youre shooting manual, then it's pretty much pointless -- but you can dial up or down the EC on the flash itself...

5. JonA_CT

Photos OK to edit
    Model flaked out again. JFC.

I think we’re onto Plan B or C or D now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Do any of those alternate plans include another model? LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. JonA_CT

Photos OK to edit
    All of them, yes, haha. The concepts are different and more complicated though. So we may give her one more shot.

Her complaint? Too cold. Which I get 100%. But the forecast hasn’t changed all week, and we confirmed twice, haha.

8. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

It sounds like she doesn't really want to do this (not out in the cold anyway). Is she an actual working model or one of the proverbial 'found on craigslist' types? I'm thinking if it was a friend, she might be up for trying it and willing to stand there freezing. If it's paid (and well paid) I imagine similar shoots have been done with accommodations made for the cold to insure the model's comfort.

Since you have more time, maybe you and your buddy (if you haven't already) should go thru this step by step. Like, we'll do a couple of shots over by this one thing, hop in the car to warm up, then go to this other thing, hop out and get a couple of shots, back in the car to warm up, etc.

I've done sports where you learn to work fast, but it took a good bit of practice and learning and years of being a photographer prior to doing sports to be able to work fast as things happen where you can only grab a shot or two or three.

I don't know how soon your friend needs these photos but maybe it's going to have to be one more try then figure something else out (and at this rate probably after Christmas), or maybe let her know you're going to not going ahead with this due to the weather and holidays etc. and thank her for being willing to model, etc. and instead of trying to schedule with her just move on. To Plan Z at this rate! lol