Shooting with tether

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am considering doing some shooting tethered. Sometimes I will think I have the shot only to find it be just a bit off. Other times I will see things when I upload to my computer that I did not see in the back screen.

I have been doing some reading about USB 3.0 cables and have just wound up more confused. There are "normal" cables, active cables and powered cables. In theory I understand how each work and for office set ups it makes sense, but for photography they do not.

From what I have read, if you go over 15' you really need some sort of active or powered cable. If I am reading right, the active cable uses the power from your device (camera) and/or your computer to power it. This may or may not be a stable connection. The next option is for a powered cable, which uses external power to make it work.

Most of the powered cables I can find have the power input on the device end like this image, but that would really take the mobility out of using the camera.
USB-Extension-Cable-5m-Leadzoe-Male-to-Female-USB-3-0-Data-Cable-Signal-Amplifier-USB3.jpg_640x640.jpg

I am not looking for a particularly long cable, but 15' seems to be just long enough to give you reach, but just short enough to risk pulling over a laptop or similar. I am thinking something in the 25-30' range would be nice. It would give you 15-20' of movement and 5-10' of safety.

Do they make cords that power off the computer end?
Does anyone here tether and what do you think about it?

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've tethered the K1 a couple of times, the cable is not powered and it's fairly long but I don't think it's 15'. Just my two cents worth, but being on the clumsy side I don't do well with cables on the floor. When I tether, the camera is usually on a tripod and the computer is on a table nearby.

Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have you looked here ? > Tether Tools

I was so, so careful and still tripped over the cable from my tripod/camera to computer on a table, sigh... $125 repair bill, double sigh..

I now shoot with a camera stand with the laptop attached :)

Close up..

Laptopn front on stand.jpg

On site set up...

New camera stand.jpg

Cheers, Don

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
was so, so careful and still tripped over the cable from my tripod/camera to computer on a table, s

Thanks for sharing, glad to know clumsiness is not an isolated occurrence. :ambivalence: Super nice set up you have. Is everything shot on tripod? What do you do when/if you have to move around?

FotosbyMike

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would second looking into, calling the people at Tether Tools they or if not the leader in tethering camera equipment.

zombiesniper

Furtographer Extraordinaire!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorbaldwin.space
Photos NOT OK to edit
I also agree that Tether tools make excellent cables.

As for the powered cable? If you use a quality cable you can easily get 20' without having to add a line amplifier. Never buy an all in one amp and cable. They're multitasking and doing a poor job of both tasks. Get a good cable. If you find a significant signal loss then get an amplifier.

Don Kondra

Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
was so, so careful and still tripped over the cable from my tripod/camera to computer on a table, s

Thanks for sharing, glad to know clumsiness is not an isolated occurrence. :ambivalence: Super nice set up you have. Is everything shot on tripod? What do you do when/if you have to move around?

For the odd time I can't get into position with the rolling stands, the D800 cable and a short extension give me about 5' of movement. I've rarely had to disconnect/go freehand to get the shot (for what I shoot).

Cheers, Don

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
For the odd time I can't get into position with the rolling stands, the D800 cable and a short extension give me about 5' of movement.

I got suckered into buying the Flu Card for the K3ii. Didn't find out till after I hooked it up that it only transfers JPEG. The K1Mii has built in WIFI that I haven't tried yet but I can't find confirmation it only transfers JPEG. Any experience with the Case Air wireless on Tether tools?

Don Kondra

Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
For the odd time I can't get into position with the rolling stands, the D800 cable and a short extension give me about 5' of movement.

I got suckered into buying the Flu Card for the K3ii. Didn't find out till after I hooked it up that it only transfers JPEG. The K1Mii has built in WIFI that I haven't tried yet but I can't find confirmation it only transfers JPEG. Any experience with the Case Air wireless on Tether tools?

No, when I was looking into wireless it was either expensive or only transferred jpegs..

Cheers, Don

OP
Nwcid

Nwcid

Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Photos OK to edit
I have seen Tether Tools and I do have one of their 15' cables sitting on my porch at home and I don't get home until tomorrow. However, I try to get my information from more then one source. I was just curious about others experiences. I also found this cable, Icron Spectra 3001-15 - USB 3.0 Active Copper Extension Cable (50 ft) but I do not need 50' and is more expensive the then TT cables, but it is powered at the "computer" side and does not have 2-3 extra connections to get length.....

I looked briefly at the Case Air, but the speed is not there. I briefly looked at the Nikon WT-7, but I am not sure where to start on what a disaster that is from price to form.....

Most reactions

New Topics