Shootout #36

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This scene is a little bit more interesting, I think. These are more the shots I like to take.

I've uploaded the jpegs this time, as some people were having some small troubles either not being able to use them, or going through the trouble of converting them before starting. Converted by loading into ACR and saved as jpegs, no editing done. I've also used the jpegs for this.

Perhaps I should add that those houses on the green, down there, are my neighbours :D

As before, just click the preview to go to the files.

My own version:

Kveldssol by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

edit: here are my settings in photomatix:

settings.jpg

Last edited:
Shootout36_Profile2_pregamma_1_mantiuk06_contrast_mapping_1_saturation_factor_2_detail_factor_6-Post.jpg

I kicked images 1 & 3 out.....too much blown-out areas.

Luminance HDR.
Profile 2
Pre-Gamma : 1.000
Mantuik ‘06
Contrast Factor : 1.000
Saturation Factor : 2.000
Detail Factor : 6.0

In GIMP:
Contrast boost : +13
Yellow channel: -17
Blue channel: +24.

Cool I like your shootouts keep posting! I'll work on one now.

Here's mine (thanks, fun to work on)

CompaqVista.jpg

Last edited:
This scene is a little bit more interesting, I think. These are more the shots I like to take.

I've uploaded the jpegs this time, as some people were having some small troubles either not being able to use them, or going through the trouble of converting them before starting. Converted by loading into ACR and saved as jpegs, no editing done. I've also used the jpegs for this.

Perhaps I should add that those houses on the green, down there, are my neighbours :D

When you open a RAW file in ACR and make no changes there are actually many changes which PS makes even if you make none. The data in every RAW file is linear A/D output from the sensor and in order to display an image that you can visualize on your monitor ACR, and every other s/w makes its own interpretation of the data and modifies it. You can verify this by opening the same RAW file in ACR, or Nikon View )or Canon equivalent), or Capture One, or any s/w that will open a RAW file. You will see that the displays are ALL different, particularly the brightness and contrast. Moreover, the data is further modified (usually for the worse) when you save the file in the destructive jpg format. You really can't tell how could a job could have been done without using the original RAW files.
All that being stated, here is my try, going for a more realistic look, using Oloneo PhotoEngine. Final output was downsized in PS.

Compaq_rev_MM_OPE_sRGB_LoRes.jpg

Regards, Murray

I like your water, vip! And the warm/cold contrasts!

When you open a RAW file in ACR and make no changes there are actually many changes which PS makes even if you make none. The data in every RAW file is linear A/D output from the sensor and in order to display an image that you can visualize on your monitor ACR, and every other s/w makes its own interpretation of the data and modifies it. You can verify this by opening the same RAW file in ACR, or Nikon View )or Canon equivalent), or Capture One, or any s/w that will open a RAW file. You will see that the displays are ALL different, particularly the brightness and contrast. Moreover, the data is further modified (usually for the worse) when you save the file in the destructive jpg format. You really can't tell how could a job could have been done without using the original RAW files.
All that being stated, here is my try, going for a more realistic look, using Oloneo PhotoEngine. Final output was downsized in PS.

Compaq_rev_MM_OPE_sRGB_LoRes.jpg

Regards, Murray

Omg, you're right :) Never thought about that before. Thanks for the heads-up!

OK, I'll try...Obviously I like the more extreme treatments.

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

vipgraphx said:
Thanks I enjoyed processing this image. It is a very nice shot and I really wish I would go there!

Many tourists do - most being German haha

I decided to revisit this one, I really like the scene. The clouds have been bothering me quite a bit. In your original shot there are some slight magenta casts in the clouds. The HDR process amplified these casts and really took the saturation too far for my tastes, to the point where they just look unreal.

I took another shot pulling back the clouds and toning down the highlights in the front. I wanted the eye to wander towards the middle of the image where there is the quaint little town.

Attempt 2:

CompaqV2.jpg

Slightly bigger version here:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/mushroomx/CompaqV2.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back