Shot a Bar Mitzvah last night.

Tyler S

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, last night I shot my first major event ( I have done graduation parties before, but not something as important as this) . Granted it was for a family friend and I'm only 16, but I would say overall I did a pretty decent job and everybody who saw the pictures were very pleased.

I used a Nikon D5100 with a 18-200mm lens ( not the fastest, but I bumped the iso up a bit and everything turned out fine) as well as a Nikon D300 with the 50mm 1.8d. Beforehand I just took a lot of family pictures and such. During the actual service, I set my D5100 to quiet release and was pretty careful of when to take pictures. Afterwards the wife of the Rabbi came up to me and made me feel rather bad, she said how disgusted she was and how ashamed I should be.. for taking pictures at something I'm getting paid to take pictures at? Heck, even the Rabbi thanked me for being sensitive. I told a few people and they got pretty angry at her, then told me it was fine and that she is a bit crazy. Overall she apologized at the reception and it turned out fine :p.

Getting back on track, at the reception I took photo favor pictures of anybody who wanted one, printed it out, framed it, then gave it to the person. I took many of these and everybody seemed to like the idea.

Overall, I had a pretty decent time. During the reception a video presentation I made for the Bar Mitzvah was also shown, to at least 200 people. Although it was stressful at times, I did end up having a lot of fun. I'm going to keep searching for events and I'll try to promote myself. Also, I was able to trade my 50mm 1.8d to a man for his 35mm 1.8 dx lens. I'd say it was a pretty dang good deal, considering how the 35 is a bit more expensive and actually auto focuses on my D5100.

5trlo8.jpg

Bar/Bat Mitzvahs can be a lot of fun. I actually was never able to shoot during the actual ceremony. I only shot on thursday nights, everything was posed for the camera. (Like a dress rehersal) I'm not sure why I was never allowed to take pics at the actuall ceremony. I always figured it was because I was a shiksa. The party was always fun. Party candids area hoot. Mazel tov on the job. I am glad to hear that the clients liked your pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back