shot at night, negative comments welcomed

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had the camera sitting next to me while driving and wanted to get more night shots.

I know it's a mediocre car and I'm not posting it to be a dbag.

And I think it's a bit bright. Was an 8 second exposure, played with different f-stops, kept the iso at 64. Yes I know I have to read 'understanding exposure' lol.

I like to share and I have a thick skin.

snowstang2.jpg

...Edit: on second thought, here's another version. I think it's cleaner but it's too bright for my liking. Light brightness/contrast adjustments on the previous, this is the original.

nightslowcar.jpg

Cool shot, but nothing special. The street light is obnoxious. lol

Good colors though, kinda spooky.

Now, I'm a Honda fan, but I'll admit, the Mustang isn't a "Mediocre" car :p

Cool shot, but nothing special. The street light is obnoxious. lol

Good colors though, kinda spooky.

Now, I'm a Honda fan, but I'll admit, the Mustang isn't a "Mediocre" car :p

Agree with you on the street light, it's hard to tell when you're out there... it was so much darker out there than it looks in the pic... 8 second exposure and all. Have to remember for next time.

It's less than mediocre in the snow, I can tell you that.

I think it is fantastic that you thought of doing this.
I've never done it.

I think this could be creepy if you thought the car was coming at you!!!;)

I think it is fantastic that you thought of doing this.
I've never done it.

I think this could be creepy if you thought the car was coming at you!!!;)

Got inspired at some point and now I'm always thinking about photos and snapping them here and there. Taking baby steps though.

Also I thought later about the choice of location not being so good (just deserted was a must), and the other little things, like that street light... and my foot prints. Maybe I'm just odd

Thanks for replies

maybe think of doing this with strobes in the back.. or side.. to cast some type of shadow, with some fill to the front :D???.. seeing the picture.. hard to know what the subject/focus is?? the light.. or the car.. or the trees.. im thinking "too dark" on first impressions.. what was your idea behind the pic??

umm, you are taking eight second exposures while approaching head on to another car in bad weather? Were you also talking on the cell? :lmao:

maybe think of doing this with strobes in the back.. or side.. to cast some type of shadow, with some fill to the front :D???.. seeing the picture.. hard to know what the subject/focus is?? the light.. or the car.. or the trees.. im thinking "too dark" on first impressions.. what was your idea behind the pic??

Good ideas, I am lacking any form of lighting right now, strobes included. Focus was supposed to be the car, but I cropped the snowy road off the bottom because it was.. well there wasn't much there. Maybe that was a mistake?

Really though, it wasn't well thought out, more of a practice shot, attempting to learn to get the most out of my point and shoot. I wanted to get the light from the parking lights shown on the snow. Should a shot at 10pm look brighter? I mean, it looked much darker to the naked eye than that, I shot a few more that were exposed more, but they look too bright to me, wanted to make it look like night time.

One thing I didn't understand... "with some fill to the front"
What did you mean by that? The lighting?
Anyway, thanks for replying!

umm, you are taking eight second exposures while approaching head on to another car in bad weather? Were you also talking on the cell? :lmao:
Also, no and no... but it does sound like something I'd do... :x

guess for being ten pm.. you're gonna be limited.. :) still think there's alot of ways to use the available light at night time to make the shot more usable.. my hack job interpretation.. sorry hehe.. hope the picture posts.. this is my first time..??

20100205-nightslowcar.jpg

some fill light meaning so i can see some more detail on the car.. i was viewing the pic on my pc earlier and the calibration is way off.. your pic looked pitch black to me heh :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back