Shot of a Nikon D40

minkster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Took a shot of my friend using their Nikon D40 camera. I only watermarked the photo. Should I make any color corrections? Comment, criticize, etc.

D40.jpg

It's really sharp. that's a good job. However, I would have liked to see more of what's going on. The lens is cut on the bottom, and you can't see any of her face.

I like her nails...they're shiny.

I was trying to achieve the DOF look and put most of the focus on the camera itself. I tried making it look camera-magazine-esque ;)

Yes the skin tones are all wrong and what a shade of nail varnish! - surely it should be something like this (althought I have enhanced the colour a tad as well as correct it)
D40.jpg

Otherwise fine, cutting off the top of Nikon is not too good, but honestly it is not a shot that inspires me - oh and you have some blown highlights on the right top finger - you could ease that a bit with one of the actions I posted on my web site.

These days I think we need to spend as much care on the post-processing as the original shot to get the most out of digitals. Unfortunately as the photoshop AutoLevels etc seem to make this picture worse, so you will have to correct manually.

Are you going to have another go? - you could get her to redo her finger nails so that the edges dont show white!

Good luck

Yes the skin tones are all wrong and what a shade of nail varnish! - surely it should be something like this (althought I have enhanced the colour a tad as well as correct it)
D40.jpg

Otherwise fine, cutting off the top of Nikon is not too good, but honestly it is not a shot that inspires me - oh and you have some blown highlights on the right top finger - you could ease that a bit with one of the actions I posted on my web site.

These days I think we need to spend as much care on the post-processing as the original shot to get the most out of digitals. Unfortunately as the photoshop AutoLevels etc seem to make this picture worse, so you will have to correct manually.

Are you going to have another go? - you could get her to redo her finger nails so that the edges dont show white!

Good luck

Thanks for the criticism!

I may end up redoing the shot, but I'm not going to tell her to dolly up her nails for a shot considering that its only for my high school AP Studio Art class. However, I still don't know the best method for color correction and things of that nature. Would it require doing a lot of layering to get the correct colors?

No layering needed at all - just Curving. If you have the time download the demo of CurveMeister and play - or use SmartCurve (you can download it from my web site [action page] - it's free).

I just started playing and soon discovered how altering the curves changed things. I really like Lab mode because it only has 2 colour channels (which are easier to understand than rgb)

Good luck - let me know if I can help

D40.jpg

Good luck

This may be the correct way to do it but i actually like the original version better...Then again i shoot with a different style and im not sure what style of shot they were going for!

I like the original better too. It's more soothing than with the warmer colors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back