shots of college campus

schumionbike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I have two series of shots and I would like you guys to pick out the best picture in each series. I'm very new to photography so I'm a little worry about the composition of these shot so if someone can comment on that, it would be great. Thanks!!!

1)
Picture549_edited.jpg

2)
Picture552_edited.jpg

3)
Picture520_edited.jpg

4)
Picture522_edited.jpg

5)
Picture558_edited.jpg

The second series, the first shot in this series, some of you might have seen before because I post it in the critique forum. One of the advise given was trying to shoot from a more interesting point of view and cut down on the shadow so I went out and reshoot it in the second picture, see if you guys like it better. The last picture in this series would give you the view if you were to be inside the building that was taken in shot one and two of the series.

6)
Picture495_edited.jpg

7)
Picture547_edited.jpg

8)
Picture483_edited.jpg

of them all, I liked the final, night shot the best. May I reccomend that you isolate diffrent sections of buildings instead of larger spaces. For example, there's a clock tower in a few shots that looks like it would be good food for your camera. Try a series of shots that focus just on it. Emphasize its height and lines. Also, what about archways and tunnels. Wait for a cloudy day and shoot through a tunnel or archway. Have a friend pose at the end of one. One final comment, watch out for shadows.

of them all, I liked the final, night shot the best. May I reccomend that you isolate diffrent sections of buildings instead of larger spaces. For example, there's a clock tower in a few shots that looks like it would be good food for your camera. Try a series of shots that focus just on it. Emphasize its height and lines. Also, what about archways and tunnels. Wait for a cloudy day and shoot through a tunnel or archway. Have a friend pose at the end of one. One final comment, watch out for shadows.

I also like the final one the best, and also #5. Perhaps try a shot at a more darker time of evening, do you have a tripod you could use for long exposures?

Hi guys, thanks for the quick response.

blackdoglab, you really have some good ideas for photography, that didn't even cross my mind before, I got to check it out. The shot that you thought was taken at night was actually taken at 6:30 in the morning. lol.

Trenton, I do not have a tripod so shooting long exposure is kinda hard =) The last shot was taken in the dark using 8 second shutter speed but I had my camera sitting on a box=) A tripod would be nice though =)

Hmmm. Colourwise the first series is really strong.
Compositionally I think I like the second of the first set best, though I am not too happy with the deep shadows on the far building, though the shadow is a nice backdrop for the tree, which I appreciate.

Of the second series, I, too, like the "night" (i.e. early morning) shot best with the inclusion of the orange light against the still a bit dark but already nicely detailed blue/partly clouded sky. I appreciate the fact that you took this when it was no longer all black dark, for there is a lot more detail to be seen now.
The horizon, however, is tilted, which is because the camera was on the box, so it was not quite level (but steady, which counts most!!!), and you can always realign a crooked horizon with pp software).

Hi Lafoto, thanks for the detail response. I did not think that the second shot in the first series was the best composition until you mention it. The reason being was that I was trying take a picture of the shadow building on the right and I don't think that number 2 show the building very well but now I notice that it is a better compose shot even though it's showing the tree rather than the building. oops =)

Can I have a comment on pictures 3 and 4 in the first series? Like I say, I was trying to take pictures of the buidling on the right so these two shots were the one that stood out to my mind when I was shooting it. So does anyone think those shots are remotely interesting or what was it that turn you off?

For the night or morning shot =), I was trying to find a natural setting where I can shoot using f= 8.0 while using an 8 second shutter speed with out over exposing or underexposing the shot. That's the smallest aperture and slowest shutter speed on my camera so that shot was just for experimenting more than anything. One interesting note, I got up at 6:30 in the morning to do homework not to take pictures =).

Thanks!!

Most reactions

Back