Shots With or Without Hood

Son Dean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was thinking I need to get a hood for the lens on my 40D, but dont know how important it is to have one.

Can anyone link me to a thread that has photos taken using a hood as well as photos taken without a hood?

Or if anyone can post some of there own that would be cool.

Thanks!

Hoods are only used to reduces flares caused by the sun or other light sources.

The only example between 2 photos one with and one without hood is that in one photo the lens flare doesn't appear and in the other photo the lens flare is present.

Here is more about lens flare: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-flare.htm

Go outside in the sunlight and look around. Then put your hand above your eyes and look around.

Hoods are only used to reduces flares caused by the sun or other light sources.

The only example between 2 photos one with and one without hood is that in one photo the lens flare doesn't appear and in the other photo the lens flare is present.

Here is more about lens flare: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-flare.htm

Kool. Simple explanation. So then it is a necessity! Thanks.

Wow, I just realized me and you have the exact same set up, the 40d that came with 28-135mm lens and a 50mm... only difference is that my 50 mm is f1.4 where yours is f1.8... nice!

Go outside in the sunlight and look around. Then put your hand above your eyes and look around.

That is a great way to explain how it works... I did it, and now I fully understand. Thanks.

Kool. Simple explanation. So then it is a necessity!
Wow, I just realized me and you have the exact same set up, the 40d that came with 28-135mm lens and a 50mm... only difference is that my 50 mm is f1.4 where yours is f1.8... nice!

Hehe, i wish i bought the f/1.4 too :D... but the f/1.8 is fine for the money :-J

^^ From what I read, about the only main difference is the build quality and the bokeh.

Kool. Simple explanation. So then it is a necessity! Thanks.

That is a great way to explain how it works... I did it, and now I fully understand. Thanks.

Haha, I just got the same setup as well. Now I am on the lokout for a 70-200mm F2.8.

As for the hood, I got one because I figure it's worth it, because if you think you got a great shot and it turns out there was a big glare on the lens, it would suck, so you won't have the problem with the hood, I don't thin, but I'm just a noob so...

You can be sure that when the manufacturers design the lens they intend it to be used with the hood. The only reason it comes off is for more compact storage.

Haha, I just got the same setup as well. Now I am on the lokout for a 70-200mm F2.8.

As for the hood, I got one because I figure it's worth it, because if you think you got a great shot and it turns out there was a big glare on the lens, it would suck, so you won't have the problem with the hood, I don't thin, but I'm just a noob so...

Newegg? lol. i was also considering the 70-200mm, but am saving to get an L glass lens. Man they capture some niiiice images. If not then something with a range of 300mm is what I want.

You can be sure that when the manufacturers design the lens they intend it to be used with the hood. The only reason it comes off is for more compact storage.

Only problem is my lens did not include a hood. Gotta buy one now...

Newegg? lol. i was also considering the 70-200mm, but am saving to get an L glass lens. Man they capture some niiiice images. If not then something with a range of 300mm is what I want.

Only problem is my lens did not include a hood. Gotta buy one now...

Nope, Adorama. I was also thinking a canon 70-300, non IS because I shoot mostly outside and I would use it with quicker shutters and wouldn't need the IS, and with IS its like $550 and without it's $200 so it looked better to me. But then I asked my photography teacher and he said he would wait and save up for a 70-200mm F2.8. The only thing is that it's not thaat much more zoom than the 28-135mm which was the main reason I was looking to get the 300mm, the extra zoom. Ya mine didn't come with the hood, I had to buy it, I got all my stuff through amazon. It was delivered the day it was supposed to be shipped! so I paid for standard shipping (which is free) and got 2nd day delivery! I think they have the 28-135mm hood on Amazon for like $24.
Wait, I'm forgetting what L glass is.

Well the reason why your teacher said to save up for a 70-200mm F2.8 is because that is what I am talking about when I say L glass... and THAT is a KILLER lense!!

Heres a link with pictures taken with that lense:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...-70-200mm-f/2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens-Sample-Pictures

It is actually called an L-series lense, but some call it L glass... same ish. L-series lenses are Canon's top of the line lenses. Heres a link that gives a good description of them:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-L-Lens-Series.aspx

BTW can you tell me what the model # is on the hood for the 28-135mm of ours?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back