Should gays be allowed to marry?

Should gays be allowed to wed?

• Total voters
well, Bush is one of the "good ole boys" ... im not surprised :?

since most of you are American, i am just curious how many of you vote... I find it pretty apalling demographic when a country of 300 million and only around 40 - 45% of population votes. Who votes? Well its mostly folks with a reasonable income and above the age of 45. At least in the States you have the choice to vote or not where as in some nutty countries (Australia :p ) you get fined if you don't!

As passionate as folks are about your gay rights issue, you'll have hard time convincing the oldies who vote your views. It doesn't make them evil, my parents voted for Bush and anyone who would call them ignorant bigots are just as ignorant.

Times and laws will change, but peoples attitudes are slow to change.

my question is then do you vote? do you vote locally as well? I think its great to see some folks there get off there arse and finally do something instead of ***** and moan :D

Well I know plenty of people inspired to vote due to their dissatisfaction with Bush. I'm one of them. I did not vote in 2000 but bet your ass I will this year.

i've voted since i was 18 yrs old ... and i will continue to vote, but i agree .. most of the younger people dont vote ... however, the people do not directly vote for the president .. its electoral votes that get the president into office

i dont think bush is a bad guy ... he's got a lot of pressure from his party and he has to produce ... his dad didnt get voted a second term .. we'll see if its like father, like son ...

i dont think there will be any surprises on election day .. Mr. Bush knows where he'll be when that day comes .. i think u all know ... lets not pretend here :lol: .. lets cut right through the smoke in mirrors routine

and u all know that one day gays will be allowed to marry (i dont think u've notice the poll ratio at the top of this page) .. lets not live in the land of make-believe ... we've been down this road before .. it will happen ... its fighting a losing battle ... its a runaway train ..

I'll go out on a limb on this one also. Personally I do not agree with homosexuality, I think that is a sin. But it is not a greater sin than anything else. I do not believe that just because someone is gay they are going to hell or anything like that. I do not think that there is any reason to hate people because they're gay or not be their friends.

Strictly from a religious point of view, I would say that gays should not be allowed to get married, but this country has no right to play that card. We are founded on the principles of equality and religious freedom (which means religious doctrines should not be a part of the law or be forced upon anyone.) Also, if someone is dead set against homosexuality that person telling gay people they can not get married will not "fix" the problem. ( I use fix as the person who hates gays would use it, Not implying anything is wrong.)

So in short, I disagree with homosexuality, but accept it and think gays should be allowed to get married

i dont think that gay people are saying ... "accept me because im gay" .. i think their saying, "be tolerant of my decisions and my right to have the same equalties as everyone else." ...

i think a lot of people have the same views as most of u ... not over-joyed about gays being married, but are tolerant of it ... and i must commend u for that

i wasnt over-joyed when the KKK chose to rally in a neighboring town that i used to live in ... but i also feel that they have the constitutional right to be there and i will defend their position :D

i think their asking for tolerance and im confident that in the end ... people will do the "right" thing ... i dont think that people hate gays as much as they'd like to think .. cause for real ... almost everyone has met or know someone that is gay ...

i think its mainly about fear and control ... "should gay people be allowed to marry" is the diversion ... and i bet, there are some gay people here as well :wink: .. will they come up and rise to the ceremony? .. probably not ...

zio said:
i'll be that guy that takes a stand...granted i'll take a lot of heat for this one. i'm against it. i think marriage is a sacred thing between a man and a woman. i know a few homosexuals and i'd go to their marriage if i were invited. i'm not a bigot, i'm just against their marriage. i wouldn't go to their wedding and gay bash or anything, i'd go and support them as friends.

im with you on this one. something just occured to me though...the morea nd more gay marraiges..the less over population of an already crowded america. but i will always support people in what they want to do...no petty discrimination.

md

vonnagy said:
since most of you are American, i am just curious how many of you vote... I find it pretty apalling demographic when a country of 300 million and only around 40 - 45% of population votes. Who votes? Well its mostly folks with a reasonable income and above the age of 45. At least in the States you have the choice to vote or not where as in some nutty countries (Australia :p ) you get fined if you don't!

As passionate as folks are about your gay rights issue, you'll have hard time convincing the oldies who vote your views. It doesn't make them evil, my parents voted for Bush and anyone who would call them ignorant bigots are just as ignorant.

Times and laws will change, but peoples attitudes are slow to change.

my question is then do you vote? do you vote locally as well? I think its great to see some folks there get off there arse and finally do something instead of ***** and moan :D

Vonnagy, I vote every time I have a chance! Voting is a privilege and a right, particularly in that order. Before coming to the US in 1980 I lived in a dictatorship where voting was nothing but a big farce. My voice was not heard and I've always voted against the regime, together with the majority of the poeple in that country. And guess what? They never counted the votes against the regime!

Yes, I take voting very seriously and yes, you are absolutely correct in regards to how few fellow Americans exercise their privileges and rights to vote.

D.

i thought the senior citizens had the majority? ... isnt there more seniors in this country than any other group of people? and they vote ...

Dew said:
i wasnt over-joyed when the KKK chose to rally in a neighboring town that i used to live in ... but i also feel that they have the constitutional right to be there and i will defend their position :D

You go, girl!! Nothing but admiration for your strong character.

A sad and funny at the same time story to tell from down here in Phoenix. A few years ago I was on lunch break downtown Phoenix, when I saw a "White Power/Aryan Nation" rally on a street. They were all dressed up in leathers, chains, some had KKK attire, some signs about the white power and all that BS. The very funny thing was, at the very end, about thirty feet behind the rally, there was a black cop in civilian clothes. I saw his badge and gun because he was near me. I couldn't help but ask "Why are you doing them a favor?" To which he simply replied "They have every right to be defended against possible violence, just like you and I have!"

I admire people of strong character! They make this world a better one.

OK, enough said... :D

i dont only support rights that benefit me like most people do "fair weather" fans i call'em

people are quick to throw moral issues down that benefit them .. "gays are against god" .... but yet, they forget about "thou shall not kill" ... but they support war and capital punishment ... people like this have holes in their argument ... it doesnt hold water because they are hypocrites .. they do things that are against "god" everyday ... fornication, booze, drugs, fight and kill people in wars and all un-godly things ... but these hypocrites want to pass judgement on someone else and the sinner is in the mirror? ... how dare these people i say ...

"the land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy."
:lol:

FFS what harm does it do for two blokes/women to get married? WTF has it got to do with anyone else? If thats what makes them happy, let them!
I think it's absolutley sickening to outcast gays in that way... why doesn't Bush just try and ban interracial couples from tying the knot too? Because it's ****ing stupid. Two consenting adults have a right to be with each other no matter who they are or where they've come from. Fair enough a 'christian' marriage says it has to be a man and a woman... but a spiritual marriage is about the soul and not the box they come in.
I am beginning to abhor religion and the closed-mindedness it promotes but i accept that some people can't cope without it. My best mate's brother is a priest and i am fully respectful of his path in life. He chose to be who he is and has put up with the taunts of others to get there. It makes him happy and so who am i to tell him it's 'wrong'... just because most people are religious in some way, it doesn't make it right.
I'm trying my hardest to not get really involved in this as it will make me too angry. :x
I hate religion, i hate politics and i hate discrimination.

I'm so proud of everyone here..... this is in fact a hot topic but everyone has been polite and tolerant of one another's views....I think a lot of us have experience in other forums where this kind of thing could turn ugly, really quickly. So for all of us - :cheer:

And a big Thank You to Dew, who has basically argued every point that I would have if I'd been here earlier. You're such a classy lady, if you don't marry Oriecat you can come on down to Atlanta and I'll take you in. :wink:

Sorry Doxx, but she's just too cool!! :D

vonnagy said:
everyone so far is very like minded, is there anyone here that is brave enough to make stand if they don't agree - i would have alot of respect for such a person to post there beliefs here as long as the person isn't radically offensive.

I will but I'll have to do it later. I'm at work right now and this could be a long one.

Steve

i think people have to be careful about these kind of laws/bans ... if we allow this to happen .. what's next? .. when this genetic engineering/cloning takes off the ground and the person with inferior genes will be punished, ridiculed, and perhaps even sectioned off from the rest of the world and not allowed to breed ...

men who are prone to hair loss will not be worthy of breeding? .. obesity? .. i think u all have to look at the bigger picture and not selfish perspectives ... if you allow petty laws like this to be made, everyone suffers ... the government gains more control over your person

dont u get it? ... its not about gay rights ... its about retaining personal rights for everyone .. this is a dangerous game

Most reactions

Back