Should I ditch my Sony?

I was looking at resale or trade in values and they aren't very great lol. That alone may get me to stick it out.
at the rate you're going, it might have been cheaper to have started with one of the CaNikon cameras in the first place.

Well, if you were me and you were at this inpass what would you do?

I have only my self and inexperience to blame, but I'm willing to take your advice.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

And you want to do weddings?

Most people, I'd guess 90%+ will buy a DSLR with the intent of using autofocus regularly.
Of the remaining 10%, 8% still haven't taken the camera out of the box, and 2% can't figure out which is the shutter release button.

at the rate you're going, it might have been cheaper to have started with one of the CaNikon cameras in the first place.

I have only my self and inexperience to blame, but I'm willing to take your advice.

Your reply is not helpful in the slightest. Thanks for your input though.

Im just saying that you don't want to dive straight in to weddings with little experience. Its a lawsuit in the making.
But good luck. Cannon and Nikon make great cameras and the lenses are in abundance, that would be my choice.

Im just saying that you don't want to dive straight in to weddings with little experience. Its a lawsuit in the making.
But good luck. Cannon and Nikon make great cameras and the lenses are in abundance, that would be my choice.

The few I've done have been free, and then I still have then sign a contract. I'm very careful with that lol. I have a lot yet to learn before I actually start charging real money for doing a wedding.

well i know my two cents probably won't matter much, but i went from a A-300 (which was my first dslr) to a A-55, mainly because i had a camera bag full of sony lens and other gear. I love my 55 and will for years to come. Im not a professional my any means, but it does what i need it to. Im not usually the hardcore one brand only person that thinks all others will never compare, but like i said my A-55 is awesome and i like it.

I am a Sony shooter, though not by choice (even if it was by choice I would never become a Sony Fanboy as I know that there is no one superior brand). I migrated from film to this through the Minolta Maxxum path (my wife's camera line up).

It also does not help that Sony currently does not have a full frame camera (they are in transition)..

Both the 850 and the 900 are full-frame cameras.

But--if you get a NIKON or a CANON you are automatically a PRO (at least that's what the nikanon bunch will tell you). There is nothing wrong with the Sony line, there are lots of lenses available for the A-mount and as mentioned Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina all make lenses to fit Sony.

I am a Sony shooter, though not by choice (even if it was by choice I would never become a Sony Fanboy as I know that there is no one superior brand). I migrated from film to this through the Minolta Maxxum path (my wife's camera line up).

It also does not help that Sony currently does not have a full frame camera (they are in transition)..

well i know my two cents probably won't matter much, but i went from a A-300 (which was my first dslr) to a A-55, mainly because i had a camera bag full of sony lens and other gear. I love my 55 and will for years to come. Im not a professional my any means, but it does what i need it to. Im not usually the hardcore one brand only person that thinks all others will never compare, but like i said my A-55 is awesome and i like it.

Both the 850 and the 900 are full-frame cameras.

But--if you get a NIKON or a CANON you are automatically a PRO (at least that's what the nikanon bunch will tell you). There is nothing wrong with the Sony line, there are lots of lenses available for the A-mount and as mentioned Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina all make lenses to fit Sony.

I've decided to stick with my little sony, its gotten me many great pictures and I'm not going to ditch it. I guess I just needed to see that there are others that use them too.

Dont get me wrong I love my Sony, but I have a hard time finding 3rd party lenses and flashes that are good and affordable.

to keep things on the concrete side, what lenses/flashes are you really missing?

Ok... so I am STILL confused here...
What do you want? Professional or cheap?
If you want lenses and gear to shoot a professional wedding you'll need to up your budget. It doesn't matter if it's Sony, Nikon , Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, Leica...

If you want budget you are fine with the gear you have. Sony has lenses, Sigma and Tamron make both their good AND cheap lenses for Sony.

If you want to advance to full frame and high end weddings? Get out of Sony regardless of the good lenses available for it from Sigma and Tamron. Take your budget up to about $10K-$15K.

If you are that serious? Switch. sell off the sony gear and start with a Canon or Nikon. Preferably full frame. Then begin saving your pennies because you need about $5k in basic lenses.

Eventually I do want to move up, but for now I'm doing work for free / donations so I can build a portfolio. I won't have that kind of budget for quite a while. If I did trade in my a330 I could probably only get a D3000 or rebel t3i to replace it.

Well, that would be a lateral move, but not adequate for your future plans.
BUT... You can then begin building a kit of lenses that will upgrade with you. Don't buy sh1t lenses. Take your time and build slowly with the GOOD to best lenses you will be needing.

If you get a Canon or Nikon you are not automatically a pro. You're a Canon and Nikon user.
The problem with Sony is that if you need to rent a lens for a special purpose, you're hooped. The Sony flashes are more expensive and way less awesome than the Nikon Creative Lighting System. And you'll find yourself having to justify owning a Sony every time a guest even looks your way.

There is nothing wrong with the Sony line, there are lots of lenses available for the A-mount and as mentioned Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina all make lenses to fit Sony.

There is nothing wrong with the Sony line... Except for the amount of proprietary peripherals required. Which Sony is notorious for. Some notable ones: Betamax, MemorySticks, RootKits on CDs, UMDs, MiniDisc, etc. (Even down to the proprietary CHARGING port for a Sony Handicam we have)

That's why I left the Sony product line. I didn't like having some odd-ball hotshoe on my camera with limited flash availability. As far as I can tell, the first TTL triggers to come out for Sony DSLRs were in the last year. Not to mention the ability to re-sell Sony gear is not as easy in a market saturated by Canon or Nikon.

Granted, I shot Sony 5 years ago, so equipment was even more scarce than it is today. Having used a Sony system though, it's hard for me to take them seriously. This is of course, all my personal opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back