Should I ditch my Sony?

ernestoc33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had a Sony alpha A330 for the last year and a half. I'm trying to get into my photography more seriously, I'm doing a few weddings for family and friends in a couple months.

Dont get me wrong I love my Sony, but I have a hard time finding 3rd party lenses and flashes that are good and affordable. I also never see pros with Sony cameras.

My question is should I continue with my Sony or should I sell it and get a Canon or Nikon?

Thanks

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

The term 'loaded question' doesn't come close here. :lol: I'd say the responses are got to depend on the responder's tastes in cameras. I few questions come to mind. Do you already have alot of gear for the Sony? Would changing brands be economical for you?

but I have a hard time finding 3rd party lenses and flashes that are good and affordable.

Are you stating that you cannot find third party lenses with a Sony/Minolta A mount ??

I will say that the Sony A lens line up is not as extensive as others ... and it does tend to be weighted towards the G and Zeiss ... but if you only want cheap lenses, you will have issues with all cameras.

Sony kept the same Minolta special flash shoe ... so you do not have much choice with that.

I don't have too much gear with my sony as of yet. I have two lenses one of which is a maxxum and a cheap flash. Really I'm just wondering if I should stick with Sony or jump ship.

You mention "good and affordable" ... now to some of us, that is an oxymoron.

Have you looked at lenses and flashes for other cameras and compared the pricing ?

I have never used a sony DSLR so I couldn't say but I do know you really can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon. Both have some great cameras at the consumer, prosumer and pro levels and tons of lenses, flashes and accessories. There are several people here that use multiple brands, they would be more capable at answering the question.

Thats pretty much what I mean. I keep seeing lots more out there in terms of third part lenses and flashes in my price range for canon and even nikon. There are lots of old maxxum lenses out there for cheap, but they tend to be very heavy and slow. I'm just wondering if its worth it to stay with sony now, or end up with lots of lenses I cant use if i switch to another brand later down the line.

Hey man, I have a sony a290 and it is a beginners camera, I got it intending to take up photography as an artistic outlet, but Im also taking photography more seriously now and have some weddings lined up this year that im doing for free, for friends. I was having the same burning question. I figure I want to do a good job at the weddings..... no wait a great job!

This is someones big day that they will never get back and even though im doing it for free I still have a huge responsibility to get it right. (im actually terrified but we have to start somewhere right?) It is also benificial for me to produce some proffesional images for my port folio so this is what im planning to do... I want to pick a make of camera that I will stick to, as a wedding photographer your going to need a back up camera anyway so I have a budget of between 1000 and 2000 bucks (been saving all year!) but the way I look at it, its an investment. I havent decided what model of camera im going to get because its a big decision but I know I want a good, at least semi proffesional model (canon or nikon body only) and an f2.8 telephoto zoom lens. I have a f1.8 50mm portrait lens for my sony and can pick up a external flash also fairly cheap for my sony.

Im not saying do what im doing, I just thought it would be helpfull to know that im in the same boat. I will use my sony as a back up camera for now until the time comes for me to be able to afford to sell it and get a back up cannon or nikon, not sure yet what im going to get.

I still cant decide, ive done lots of research and to be honest I was going to create a thread on here to get some advice. I have another photographer friend that keeps telling me to get a Leica but im not sure at all. Anyway I just thought that might help you out a bit, but of course it is your decision and ive also no idea what your budget is. But once you decide if you want to purchace a new camera, or if you just want a new lens for your sony, remember to check google product search and ebay, you will get what your looking for much cheaper if you dont mind buying second hand.

Hayley :)

There's a reason you've never seen a pro shoot Sony..They don't.

If you're looking to shoot professionally, it's either Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad or Mamiya/Phase One. Pick one.

Hey man, I have a sony a290 and it is a beginners camera, I got it intending to take up photography as an artistic outlet, but Im also taking photography more seriously now and have some weddings lined up this year that im doing for free, for friends. I was having the same burning question. I figure I want to do a good job at the weddings..... no wait a great job!

This is someones big day that they will never get back and even though im doing it for free I still have a huge responsibility to get it right. (im actually terrified but we have to start somewhere right?) It is also benificial for me to produce some proffesional images for my port folio so this is what im planning to do... I want to pick a make of camera that I will stick to, as a wedding photographer your going to need a back up camera anyway so I have a budget of between 1000 and 2000 bucks (been saving all year!) but the way I look at it, its an investment. I havent decided what model of camera im going to get because its a big decision but I know I want a good, at least semi proffesional model (canon or nikon body only) and an f2.8 telephoto zoom lens. I have a f1.8 50mm portrait lens for my sony and can pick up a external flash also fairly cheap for my sony.

Im not saying do what im doing, I just thought it would be helpfull to know that im in the same boat. I will use my sony as a back up camera for now until the time comes for me to be able to afford to sell it and get a back up cannon or nikon, not sure yet what im going to get.

I still cant decide, ive done lots of research and to be honest I was going to create a thread on here to get some advice. I have another photographer friend that keeps telling me to get a Leica but im not sure at all. Anyway I just thought that might help you out a bit, but of course it is your decision and ive also no idea what your budget is. But once you decide if you want to purchace a new camera, or if you just want a new lens for your sony, remember to check google product search and ebay, you will get what your looking for much cheaper if you dont mind buying second hand.

Get a Leica is definitely good advice from your friend.

skieur

Get a Leica is definitely good advice from your friend.

skieur

Thanks for the tip, I will definatly be looking into this more :)

Most reactions

Back