Should I sell my 'kit' lens?

Thank you everybody for your input. My 28-135 is going on eBay tonight for a buy-it-now price of $275. Wish me good luck :)

Looks like you are a good lens roadmap there, they are great lenses.

Thank you Big :)

I was checking your website, you take very good photos! May I ask what lens did you use for this photo "Mariage de Emily et SimonImage 6 of 12"?

Thanks for taking the time to check them out. The site hasn't been updated since last Fall... :(

Here is a link to the image on flickr, you should be able to see more exif there
Flickr: More detail about Emily & Simon

I was using the Tamron 28-75 for that image.
f/4, 1/400, ISO 400, 28mm

EDIT: I need to drink more coffee before posting... "Looks like you are a good lens roadmap there"
ROFL... yes, you are a roadmap haha. Ok, sorry. Back to forum postings :)

I've barely touched my 50mm 1.8 since getting my Tamron 17-50.. and yours is the better one with the vibration compensation. That's a nice piece of glass you have there... the 70-200L as well.

If you're going to go with a 50mm prime may I suggest the Sigma 50mm 1.4? It's $500 but I've read countless statements proclaiming it's super sharp even at f/1.4 (something the Canon 50mm 1.4 is not).

Unless you want a cheap piece of glass you can break and not care about, then get the nifty Canon fifty. Beware though, it sucks at auto focusing (at least mine does).

Honestly, I didnt use my 50 1.8 all that much for a while. However, recently, I've been doing alot more performance shooting where I need that wider aperture as I'm pushing 3200 ISO with an aperture of 2.8 to get a decent shutter. I'm going to be picking up the 1.4 soon.

But if you aren't sure about the prime 50, then I'd go with the 1.8 at first to see if you like the focal lenght and wide aperture. I got mine new for $100. I have a buyer waiting for pick it up for $75 when I get my 1.4. At least I'm only out $25 compared to the potential of being out $400 if I didnt like or need the prime 50.

Whatever floats your boat though.

I always sell lenses I don't really need anymore. I don't even have anything wider than a 50mm now but for me that's fine. I sold my 18-200 Sigma because I frankly didn't use it that much.

I always sell lenses I don't really need anymore. I don't even have anything wider than a 50mm now but for me that's fine. I sold my 18-200 Sigma because I frankly didn't use it that much.

How do you like the match of 7d and 70-200 f4 IS? I am thinking of buying this same lens next.

^ Great point Twink. Also, the 50mm 1.8 is probably a pretty easy lens to sell (lots of demand, affordable price).

Mine likes to make this "CLUNK CLUNK" noise once every 30 or so times I auto focus with it. It sounds like it's tearing itself apart.. and I've heard a lot of people say the same thing over at the canon forums.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back