Should I trade D40 for D70?

I'd call that fairly significant. (not to mention the larger screen)

I mean, it's nothing to saw your arm off over, but if you're out looking for them you may as well buy the S version. Can't imagine it's going to be that much more expensive.

Yea, if I buy a D70 its going to be the S version. I have been seeing things that suggest the D40 has better IQ. is this true?

Eh, it really depends how much my D40 body will sell for. If it sells for like $350 (which it will probably) then I'm probably not gonna dish out an extra $150 for an upgraded body. I would rather put it toward a good lens. What will the D80 give me that the D70 wont?
I really don't see you getting 350 for your D40, they are available for 382 Canadian brand new...

I also agree with the fact that the d40 to d70 is a very minute upgrade. If you want an actual upgrade, skip all the other entry level bodies and go for a D300 or other mid-level body (such as a used D200, but I prefer the CMOS in the D300).. if you're wanting to stay with an entry-level, I'd probably go with the D90 over a D80 as well.

I really don't see you getting 350 for your D40, they are available for 382 Canadian brand new...

I also agree with the fact that the d40 to d70 is a very minute upgrade. If you want an actual upgrade, skip all the other entry level bodies and go for a D300 or other mid-level body (such as a used D200, but I prefer the CMOS in the D300).. if you're wanting to stay with an entry-level, I'd probably go with the D90 over a D80 as well.

I would, if I had the money. If somehow I do get the money it will be for lenses. I just don't really see what I really need in a D300 that a D70 won't give me.

Over here D40s are $500 brand new with the kit lens. The kit lens is about $60 (I think), and I'm probably gonna lose 100 if its not new. I'm hoping to get $300-350.

Still any word on IQ compared to the D40?

I would, if I had the money. If somehow I do get the money it will be for lenses. I just don't really see what I really need in a D300 that a D70 won't give me.

Over here D40s are $500 brand new with the kit lens. The kit lens is about $60 (I think), and I'm probably gonna lose 100 if its not new. I'm hoping to get $300-350.

Still any word on IQ compared to the D40?
A D40 and a D40s are not the same thing, which do you have? Your signature says D40, yet you are comparing it to a D40s' price.

If you can get 350, all the more power to you, but I'm highly doubting it.

if im not mistaken, the D40 has a faster flash sync.

maybe someone can confirm that.

I think the D40 has a more sensitive sensor (base ISO is 200) and better high ISO performance than the D70.. can anyone confirm that?

Probably, electronics evolve and lower their prices very fast :D

ahhhh ok cool then...scratch my info ;)

A D40 and a D40s are not the same thing, which do you have? Your signature says D40, yet you are comparing it to a D40s' price.

i think he meant "D40's" not "D40s"...

D40s being the plural of D40. I didn't actually mean D40s. I didn't even know they existed.

So so D40's only advantages are size, screen, and buffer time? What about IQ. Is the D40 IQ better than the D70?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back