Should I upgrade? (D3100)

Romsius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm still using my first DSLR (E-500) that I got a few years back. Over the years I also picked up a macro lens ($350), telephoto($400), and the entry level zoom lens that came with the camera. Would it be worth getting the D3100 when it comes out and just start from scratch as far as lenses go, or would the equipment upgrade not justify it? I'm a student working on a $13/hr pay here though. :( so I cant splurge on lenses as soon as I get the camera.

You could always sell your current lenses if you decide to "upgrade"

If you sold your camera, and all three lenses, you could easily get the D3100, 18-55mm DX EDII lens (kit), and an extra lens, or body only and one half decent lens.

Mark

No. You've got a kit, you're a student making $13/hr. Do the math. Enjoy and learn on what you have in hand. This is a hobby, isn't it? Wait until it is not a financial burden to upgrade.

The aperture on the lens has to be locked at F/22. That said, you will adjust the aperture to your liking in-camera, or the camera will do it for you. You should know, however, that this is not an AF-S lens. This means that your camera will not AF with it. It will be only manual focus. If you want a 50mm prime (non-zoom) lens to AF with your camera, you'd have to get the 50mm F/1.4.

The lens, however, is an incredibly sharp lens. I own one, it was my second lens. I absolutely adore it. The Aperture works great for blurring backgrounds, isolation, and low-light situations. Its an absolute must-have for anyone with a Nikon. It's going to be hard to find someone who has never owned this lens, but has owned a Nikon body. Its a great lens. If you dont mind not having AF, get it for sure.

The Nikon 35mm F/1.8 is an AF-S lens, for not much more new than what you would pay for that lens. This is also an incredibly sharp lens, but is much different on a DX body. Since the Nikon 50mm 1.8 is designed to cover a full-frame body and the D3100 is a DX body, you will have a 1.5x crop factor involved, giving you a 75mm F/1.8 lens on your body. The 35mm F/1.8 is a DX lens, this means there is no crop factor involved. This will give you a true 35mm f/1.8 lens. So, here are your options with this:

50mm F/1.8D lens:
No AF
Incredibly sharp
1.5x crop gives you actually 75mm.
$120-140.

35mm F/1.8G AF-S lens:
AF fully supported
Incredibly Sharp
No crop factor, 35mm.
Less isolation due to wider angle.
$180-200.

50mm F/1.4G AF-S lens:
AF fully supported
Incredibly sharp above F/1.8 (I hear..)
1.5x crop factor gives you 75mm.
Better isolation and low-light work due to F/1.4
$450-500

All prices are given for NEW product..you can surely find them cheaper used from Amazon, ebay, craigslist, etc, ect. Hope Ive helped a little.

Mark

Last edited:
No. You've got a kit, you're a student making $13/hr. Do the math. Enjoy and learn on what you have in hand. This is a hobby, isn't it? Wait until it is not a financial burden to upgrade.

:thumbup:

Only if you find that your current camera and lenses aren't doing the job that you may need an upgrade. We all WANT to upgrade of course :D but most of us don't NEED to upgrade. GL

I agree with the others, but if you want to upgrade, upgrade. Dont let anyone talk you out of it. If this is a hobby, I agree with the others, that you may not need it. If you feel like you want it and can do it, do it. Wahtever makes you happy.

Mark

The 35mm F/1.8 is a DX lens, this means there is no crop factor involved. This will give you a true 35mm f/1.8 lens. So, here are your options with this:

35mm F/1.8G AF-S lens:
AF fully supported
Incredibly Sharp
No crop factor, 35mm.
$180-200

Just because it's a DX doesn't mean there isn't a crop factor. It's still going to have a field of view equivelant of about a 52mm lens. IE, it will not have the same view as a 35mm on a full frame. The DX just means it's designed to mount and be used on DX crop cameras (similar to Canon's EF-S).

Youre right. You and I understand that..sometimes I forget that not everyone does. I was stressing that it can only be used on DX bodies, and phrased it incorrectly. :blushing: oops. Thanks for that correction there.

Mark

No worries, I just didn't want it to be interpreted incorrectly by someone who may not know better. :thumbup:

The 35mm F/1.8 is a DX lens, this means there is no crop factor involved. This will give you a true 35mm f/1.8 lens. So, here are your options with this:

35mm F/1.8G AF-S lens:
AF fully supported
Incredibly Sharp
No crop factor, 35mm.
$180-200

Just because it's a DX doesn't mean there isn't a crop factor. It's still going to have a field of view equivelant of about a 52mm lens. IE, it will not have the same view as a 35mm on a full frame. The DX just means it's designed to mount and be used on DX crop cameras (similar to Canon's EF-S).

That lens can mount and work on any Nikon dSLR, including FX bodies, but it will vignette on a full frame (FX) camera body because it only projects a DX size image circle.

Actually, unless the feature is turned off a Nikon FX body automatically only uses that portion of the image sensor that is illuminated by the smaller DX image circle.

Unlike Canon cameras and EF-S lenses, DX (EF-S) lenses can be used on the FX (EF) bodies.

Most reactions

Back