Should I use aliases if I am an artist in different mediums?

gatorcruz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thank you in advance for your responses and help. Okay, I guess you can call me a renaissance man (ha ha, not really ... I just love exploring art in many mediums). I am primarily a sculptor and also a painter; And recently a photographer. I have sold my work in all three mediums but my name is best known by my first & last name (for those political readers, let's say "Joe the Artist").

Here is my question/issue: I have heard differing comments from fellow artists and associates regarding my multiple directions. Some say that I should use the SAME name for all my artwork (but I should NEVER promote or display multiple themes at the same time ... Separate each theme/medium in individual shows, gallery spaces (wall space) or weekend art fairs.)

Yet, others say I should just create a different name for each medium because many buyers will feel as though the artist is too stretched and not focused or not specialized in one particular medium. For instance, I could use my First/Last name for Sculpture, Middle/Last for Paintings, and First-Middle initials/Last name for my photography.

If I chose the same name for all, then, for my online promotion, I would have one URL for my artist name which would have a homepage which would lead viewers to three different virtual galleries (painting/Photo/Sculpture). I am not sure how i would handle my business cards or postcards :).

If I chose multiple names, then I would have three individual websites and three of all other promotional materials.

What are your opinions? Any validity to keeping the same name or multiple names?

Thank you.

I certainly can't speak from experience, but if it were me, I would keep the same name and use a single website.

some authors publish under different names according to what sort of book they are writing or the style of book so as readers can expect a certian kind of book by the author name.
Others just publish as they write under their own names or the name of an alius.

In the end I don't think either way has a huge advantage over the other - many fans will end up following both if not all of an authors other names. Also if you become popular enough the other name starts to hold less meaning, especially if your handing out cards and being very much in the lime light yourself (either at displays or trying to gather work together). Infact if you are like this using different names could confuse people more - might be simpler just to run as a single name. I can't see how having a varied portfolio of productions and a range of talents can harm your image.

I would agree with focused displays of work - picking a theme - though I would say if you can express a theme with two meduims why not show them together with their own strengths.

Most reactions

Back