Should I...

Kibii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So me and one girl went on a walk and we said that we will take photos of our dogs (as we love dog photography). Later, when we were done we went at her house and she asked me if she could borrow my SD Card just to copy( photos I took, with my camera) to her computer. She said she will edit them a bit and upload them online and give credit to me. She did copy them. Few days later I see my photo uploaded to IG/FB, edited, but added her logo on photo I took. Now, I'm not a professional dog photographer, I do own few better lens, as I love action shots. I'm really proud of photos I took that day, but she put her logo on my photos(she has her own camera and photos but not as good).

What should I do? Should I tell her that she shouldn't have done that? Is that okay to do?
I gave her SD Card, did I automatically gave her permission to upload photos like she took them?

Any advice would be helpful.

Find a different friend. Contact FB and IG and inform them that the photos are not the property of the poster. That should get them pulled. If the girl asks you about it tell her the truth, that she lied to you, claimed your photos and that you are through with her.

Chances are she's got a bunch of standard editing methods she uses and applying her watermark is likely in her default list of tasks - or might even be setup as an action as part of her resizing for internet display. So might be that its not an intentional action.

I'd contact her and remind/point out the mistake.

Theft of photos is rarely done like this where you personally know the person; its normally unknown people or once off meeting where people are more likely to "steal" with deliberate intent.

I gave her SD Card, did I automatically gave her permission to upload photos like she took them?

No, you (the person who pressed the shutter) are generally going to be the copyright holder in most countries. Some countries put copyright with the person hiring the photographer; but as there was no contract of hire between you then she's not your "boss". So legally speaking you still own the photos. Even if she's edited them you still own the photo itself.

Thank you! I'll tell her that that's not okay.
And also, I'll never again give anyone SD Card so this doesn't happen again. We are not like best friends, we know each other because of dog sports (competitions and other) but still I got surprised when she did that.

I wish someone would steal my photo's, that would mean I am good....

Just comment on the photo in question "I'm glad you like this photo that I took!" Seems like the only issue here, since there is no money in play, is credit. So publicly comment and take credit. Maybe even add a link to your other photos saying "here are some more that I took that day" so her followers can see the rest.

Could all just be an easy mistake on her part. Before getting upset over one photo, talk to her.

Thank you! I'll tell her that that's not okay.
You should tell her to take down the photograph(s), and follow up with FB and IG to make sure she does it. If she still wants to be your friend, then she'll do it with no hard feelings.

Why did you give her your photos?

I do NOT think she "made a mistake". She stole your images. And then postd them, and took credit for them. Period. What she did is beyond the pale. Her behavior sounds very sketchy, as we say in the USA.

Could all just be an easy mistake on her part. Before getting upset over one photo, talk to her.

Talk? To a girl?

Pffft.

He needs a lowepro street and field vest and the matching belt. Some facepaint might be a nice touch. Make him look like a SWAT team reject. Then he should head over to her place, kick in the door.

Lol..

Seriously, for the op... Not the end of the world. Just ask her about it. If you don't like the response or think she's being dishonest, not like you are required by law to continue associated with her.

I'll never again give anyone SD Card so this doesn't happen again.
I'm curious; was the reason you allowed her to copy your photos because she is better at editing than you? Is there an understanding between the two of you such that she may edit your photos?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back