Should Neutral Have No Sharpness?

Marc Hildebrant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Group,

With my EOS 90D camara, the Neutral Picture Style's default settings are all "0" value, except for some Sharpness settings.

I will be shooting with RAW files and post process using Canon DPP4. Should I set the Sharpness values to "0"?

I would think that for a neutral setting, all values should be "neutral".

Marc

If you're shooting RAW, it wouldn't matter what picture mode you'll be shooting as, because this is RAW uncompressed data. What those picture mode means is that the jpg will be processed as what you have in your picture mode

Group,

With my EOS 90D camara, the Neutral Picture Style's default settings are all "0" value, except for some Sharpness settings.

I will be shooting with RAW files and post process using Canon DPP4. Should I set the Sharpness values to "0"?

I would think that for a neutral setting, all values should be "neutral".

Marc
RichieS is correct, JPEG settings don't matter if you're going to process the raw file.

A note about DPP: DPP is Canon's DIGIC processor with a few desktop additions. What that means is that DPP is capable of regenerating the camera JPEG. That's what it does by default. The problem with that is DPP is the same processing software that's in the camera. And although camera JPEGs have gotten a lot better there are still issues and those issues carry over to DPP.

The problem with the camera software that creates a JPEG is the need for speed. The engineers who designed that software did so with a gun to their heads. The threat is that the user could at any time press down the shutter release and hold it down. What's your camera's burst rate? 5 frames per second? 7 frames per second? Then the processing software has to keep up. Imagine you have a camera mechanically capable of 5 frames per second, but the processing software can only manage 1 frame every 5 seconds -- OUCH! So in order for the processing software to keep up compromises have to be made. Those compromises are built into DPP.

Most notably would be noise processing. If you do much low-light work and have to raise the ISO way up you can process that noise away with modern software. DXO PL-7's deep prime noise filtering for example is amazing, and very processor intensive. They can't put anything like that in the cameras so it's also not in DPP. Instead the noise filtering in DPP is an embarrassment.

So by all means start off with DPP. It's free and it's a good way to learn and get started. Just know that better results are possible when you're ready.

Thanks for the replies.

What I have found, with cr2 files (not sure about cr3), is that when I open the RAW file in Canon DPP, the "recipe" applies a sharpness setting set by the camara, along with the color setting.

These settings can be changed within DPP, and will now become the new recipe. The user, me, must remember that some of the camara settings will be applied to the RAW file when first opened.

The DPP software does not start off with all camara settings off, when a RAW file is brought in. Rather, all of the camara settings can be changed and become the new "recipe".

Ysarex, thanks for the additional information about Canon's DPP software. Very useful.

Marc

Update. With a Canon cr3 Raw file, EOS 90D, the sharpness settings set in the camara, will be in the Exif file. When changed with the DPP software, the new values are in the Recipe folder.

Seems O.K.

Marc

According to what I've read DPP is a nodestructive parametric editor, as such NO CHANGES take place to the RAW file. Any editing instructions you make are recorded to a metadata side car file. While your editing changes become the default profile applied to the JPEG "preview", it doesn't overwrite any camera profiles also in metadata. That's the beauty of a parametric editor, you can revert to the original at any time while your RAW file remains intact.

smoke665,

Yes, that has been my understanding.

Marc

Most reactions

New Topics

Back