shutter control

arana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
because I'm still new oh photography, I have few question in my next exam, and I'm not sure for the answer...
the question are:
1. What effect does shutter control has on the image other than exposure?

2. What effect does using a slow shutter speed with flash have on the final image? What advantage is there in this technique?

3. What is the difference between matrix readig and sopt meter reading?

4. Difference between reflected light and incident light?

5. Two characteristics of overexposed film?

6. Two charactericstics of underexposed film?

Thank you for any answer and big kisses from Croatia!!
:D :D

1. The speed of the shutter affects the exposure, but if the shutter speed is slow, then the subject may move, causing a blur or ghost type effect.

2. The background is better or further exposed. It's commonly seen with say a dusk model shoot, where you want a darkish background, but not black. A fill flash is used to crisp up the image of the model, but the background needs to be burned in a little with a longer exposure.

3. A matrix reading takes a kind of average over a scene, usually weighted towards the centre. A spot meter takes a reading from a small circle in the centre of the frame. Spot metering is useful when you wish to expose a subject correctly when the background is of a very different exposure, e.g. a person in front of a sunset.

4. Most incidental light is reflected as it comes from sources other than the main light source.

5. Bright picture, lost detail in highlights.

6. Dark picture, lost detail in shadows.

I wish I had people on the internet to do my homework.

Rob

In addition to those answers

underexposed film may also show more grain and more saturated colours. Conversely, overexposed film can be washed out with very faded colour.

Sometimes flash and slow shutter speeds are used to get creative effects where the subject is frozen but can leave a blurred trail. To do this you may use something called curtain sync which determines whether the flash fires at the beginng of the exposure or at the end.

You need a relatively slow shutter speed to achieve this, maybe 1/8 or 1/4 second or longer. the effect is that any moving part of the image will be blurred and then as the flash fires, a frozen sharp image will also be captured.

Depending on which part of the exposure you fire the flash will determine the effect.

For example, a runner at the start of a race..

if you set rear curtain sync and take an image as he leaves the starting block, you will get an effect that leaves a blur of the runner behind him which would emphasise the speed of the athlete. I'll try and find an example image to show you what I mean.

Regards

John

markc said:
Are you actually interested in photography, or are we just doing your homework for you? ;)

That kinda occurred to me, but I answered anyway. Ho hum, maybe I'll get a Croatian A-Level :)

Rob said:
1. The speed of the shutter affects the exposure, but if the shutter speed is slow, then the subject may move, causing a blur or ghost type effect.

2. The background is better or further exposed. It's commonly seen with say a dusk model shoot, where you want a darkish background, but not black. A fill flash is used to crisp up the image of the model, but the background needs to be burned in a little with a longer exposure.

3. A matrix reading takes a kind of average over a scene, usually weighted towards the centre. A spot meter takes a reading from a small circle in the centre of the frame. Spot metering is useful when you wish to expose a subject correctly when the background is of a very different exposure, e.g. a person in front of a sunset.

4. Most incidental light is reflected as it comes from sources other than the main light source.

5. Bright picture, lost detail in highlights.

6. Dark picture, lost detail in shadows.

I wish I had people on the internet to do my homework.

Rob

Thanks...my problem is English so that is the biggest problem...sorry...

markc said:
Are you actually interested in photography, or are we just doing your homework for you? ;)

To be honest, I must pass the final intervju for one company who hires junior photographer on cruise ships....For that job I must know basic things about photography...my problem is english,(terminology in english) so any help is good...don't be angry with me....
:)

Actually I don't see a problem with someone asking questions to acquire knowledge. It seems a legitimate way to learn.

Most reactions

Back