Shutter count, aperture & ISO information

Byrnew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I bought my first camera and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction regarding the Shutter count, aperture & ISO.

I was planning on starting of in automatic mode but watching videos it says it's not a good way to learn and I wont benifit the camera pertential . Is there any set guide that I can set the Shutter count, aperture & ISO as an average default that I can use and then I can maybe twerk then a bit as I learn . I read turn off the automatic setting on iso and set it between 100 -200. Is there any kind of guide I could use for the other 2 ?? Maybe a guide what to set them at say on a sunny day , a dull day and maybe indoors ??

Any guide would be much appreciated

Thanks

Wayne

1. It's the internet, so there's that.

2. Forget what they are telling you. Everyone has an opinion, but that doesn't mean all opinions are correct.

3. Look up the sunny 16 "rule" if you think you absolutely must shoot in full manual mode for whatever reason.

4. Set everything to "auto" and have fun with your camera. Make pretty photographs.

A goofshutter speed range hat renders most things sharply is 1/250 second to1/500 second.

Many people use somewhat slow speeds such as 1/60 of a second to 1/125, and while these speeds are fast enough for most subjects, shooting at these speeds often leads to marginally un-sharp shots. This is a lesson I learned around 1985, using a Nikon and a 50 mm lens. I experimented for a week doing all of my pictures at 1/500 of a second where previously I had been using much slower shutter speeds as a common occurrence.

Aperture wise I think that F5.6 is a really wonderful aperture on many lenses.

Since you have a very new camera with a very good quality sensor I think you should explore the idea of using manual exposure mode combined with auto ISO. Turn on auto ISO, set the shutter speed to 1/350 of a second and the aperture to F5.6. If you would like feel free to set the shutter speed to something slower, like 1/200 of a second

Over the last decade sensor performance has improved so much that it is no longer absolutely necessary to keep the ISO really low,like at 100, in order to make a high-quality picture..

.......... Since you have a very new camera with a very good quality sensor I think you should explore the idea of using manual exposure mode combined with auto ISO. Turn on auto ISO, set the shutter speed to 1/350 of a second and the aperture to F5.6. If you would like feel free to set the shutter speed to something slower, like 1/200 of a second.......

This.

Plus, get a copy of Bryan Peterson's book, Understanding Exposure.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In really low light obviously a shutter speed of even 1/125 Second will be considered too fast. In many Low light level situations, a firm support for the camera is necessary. With the camera firmly supported on the edge of a table,counter,desk, or other firm support, the automatic mode might be able to give you good exposures in the one second or
Longer range.

Years ago I marveled at my Nikon FE-2 's ability to automatically time out long night-time exposures of up to two minutes or more with slow speed ISO 64 color transparency film. The length of these exposures was far in excess of the camera's stated exposure metering range.

Last edited:
I think Sparky has given you a really good idea – get a good book! There have been many many books about learning photography written over the past 40 years. I have been buying many different titles from Goodwill for the past two years, and there are many books which would give you a real head start. Quality instruction on theory and practice is the hallmark of a good photography instruction book. Book learning is very different from learning from YouTube videos, many of which are aimed at people who already understand intermediate level photographic concepts and practices.

Another method is to simply go out and shoot. Then study your results. Don't worry about composition, focus, white balance.... you're wanting to learn exposure.

Does the shutter speed work for the shot? IE, if you want crisp, clean sports shots, are you using a fast enough shutter? Or is it your intention to allow the subject some blur to emphasize motion in the image (like a potter at a wheel... the potter is still enough to be sharp, but the clay on the wheel is blurred)?

Does the aperture you chose work? Did you intend on the background being in focus due to a small aperture (as in a landscape), or would a large aperture have been a better choice (say, a portrait of a person)?

After a shoot, sit down and study your images. Critique your own work. Did you make 'correct' choices about shutter speed & aperture for the subject your imaged, and the results you wanted? If so, great! If not, what was 'wrong' with your choice? Would 1/1000 been better than 1/250? F/5.6 better than f/16?

It won't take long for you to apply this knowledge before you even bring your camera up to your eye. You'll see a scene, or anticipate an action, and you'll have your camera all set before you start focusing and framing in the viewfinder.

A goofshutter speed range hat renders most things sharply is 1/250 second to1/500 second.

Many people use somewhat slow speeds such as 1/60 of a second to 1/125, and while these speeds are fast enough for most subjects, shooting at these speeds often leads to marginally un-sharp shots. This is a lesson I learned around 1985, using a Nikon and a 50 mm lens. I experimented for a week doing all of my pictures at 1/500 of a second where previously I had been using much slower shutter speeds as a common occurrence.

Aperture wise I think that F5.6 is a really wonderful aperture on many lenses.

Since you have a very new camera with a very good quality sensor I think you should explore the idea of using manual exposure mode combined with auto ISO. Turn on auto ISO, set the shutter speed to 1/350 of a second and the aperture to F5.6. If you would like feel free to set the shutter speed to something slower, like 1/200 of a second

Over the last decade sensor performance has improved so much that it is no longer absolutely necessary to keep the ISO really low,like at 100, in order to make a high-quality picture..

Thanks all for your time and information I understand what you'd are saying. I will definitely study this and try what each of yas told me and look out for books which is a great idea .

I speak only canon.. you asked about shutter count. On my 600d I can reset the counter in the menu option would have to look to see how I did not see what camera you had. Resetting shutter count can cause problem unless you have a really good storage system and are careful if I took a pic today and it was ... 0009 and did the same tomorrow. After a reset the pc could overweight the first image. If you use a mem card with a higher number on the shutter count, eg borrowed one, the camera would reset to the higher number.one of the benefits of digital you get the exif data no more note pad jotting down settings unless you want to, ok I know there are film peeps out there this in not a film v digital,

I think he meant shutter speed not count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been a member on this forum for about 10 years, and there have been a few instances of people who complained about missed focus and posted some sample photos, and it turned out what they thought was missed focus was in fact slight camera shake from too slow of a shutter speed

When I was in my 20s I show a lot at speeds of 1/60 and 1/125 second. As I mentioned above I was told by an old photographer that I didn't know what sharp meant until I shot everything at 1/400 of a second or faster.

I thought he was kind of off his rocker, but several years into my photography journey I decided to test his advice and for a solid week I shot everything at 1/500 second. I will never forget one photo in particular, an outdoor group photo of several of my dorm mates. The shot that was done at 1/500 second at around f/5.6 with an old 50 mm F2 Nikkor lens was amazingly sharp.that one photo showed me how much sharper my photos could be if I only used a really fast shutter speed.

There really is a difference, but it is hard to see if you don't have anything to compare it with. I had thought that a huge preponderance of my photos shot at 1/125th a second were "sharp",and yes, they were fairly sharp. But as the older and much more-experienced guy had told me, "you don't know what sharp is until you shoot all of your pictures at 1/400 of a second or faster."

He was old enough to have learned photography back when 1/400 of a second was a fairly common Speed Graphic focal plane shutter speed.

Thanks Derrel I will use your information when learning , I realy appreciate your knowledge and time to help.

That shooting at 1 /500th seem like a good idea for a fossil like me to try. On the shutter count/speed ok no probs I will leave shutter speed to others who have already covered it

Hello all,

I bought my first camera and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction regarding the Shutter count, aperture & ISO.

I was planning on starting of in automatic mode but watching videos it says it's not a good way to learn and I wont benifit the camera pertential . Is there any set guide that I can set the Shutter count, aperture & ISO as an average default that I can use and then I can maybe twerk then a bit as I learn . I read turn off the automatic setting on iso and set it between 100 -200. Is there any kind of guide I could use for the other 2 ?? Maybe a guide what to set them at say on a sunny day , a dull day and maybe indoors ??

Any guide would be much appreciated

Thanks

Wayne

I also suggest a book to get you started. I haven't read Bryan Peterson's understanding exposure, but I learned a lot from another of his books, "Bryan Peterson's understanding photography field guide".
Leaving iso at 100 or 200 works well outdoors during the day, that's what I use most times, but in low light, like indoors or late evening etc, compromises must be made. Either use a flash, or set iso to auto to see what the camera wants to use and go from there... Sometimes a grainy pic is better than no pic...
Speaking of auto, auto mode isn't entirely useless. If I'm not sure what settings to start with, I will set the dial to auto to see what my camera wants to use, and adjust from there for the look I want. That's where the book I suggested comes in. Here is a spoiler from the book, there are usually no less than 6 different combinations of settings to get proper exposure in any given setting.

Most reactions

Back