Shutter count

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shutter count is just that, a count of the times the shutter has been actuated. Saving RAW + JPEG will still only record one shutter actuation.

The best place to check shutter count is in the EXIF data of a photograph. Every one of them has it stored there.

Just wondering if that site actually read the shutter count vs images. Damn I take a lot of pictures. Would be nice to have a photography or two as well. lol.

In PhotoMechanic it's under the frame #. I think I'm around 6500 on a d3s.

I just tested your link and it matches what I get in Preview (Mac).

It is my understanding that Canon cameras do not write the shutter count to EXIF data fields that the camera owner can access, but all Nikon DSLRs made in the last 8 or so years do - if you set the camera to shoot a JPEG.

ScreenShot006.png

It is my understanding that Canon cameras do not write the shutter count to EXIF data fields that the camera owner can access, but all Nikon DSLRs made in the last 8 or so years do - if you set the camera to shoot a JPEG.
I get a shutter count on my D40 for raw, as well.

I get a shutter count on my D40 for raw, as well.
I do with my D60, D90, and D7000 as well.

I wasn't aware that Canon doesn't write the data to EXIF in a readable format. Thanks for that bit of information.

cool. thanks for the info. I hit 8400 last night, only had my d3100 for 3 months and 2 days. lolz The force is strong with this one.

Not all Nikon cameras stored the shutter count in the EXIF. The D200 for instance didn't. It stored the shutter count in a hidden field in the RAW file. A program was needed to extract this count from the picture.

Just wondering if that site actually read the shutter count vs images. Damn I take a lot of pictures. Would be nice to have a photography or two as well. lol.

Hi, I've been using KusoEXIF, downloadable from Softpedia at;

Download KUSO Exif Viewer 3.0 Free - The greatest to view Image EXIF from Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox by right click function menu - Softpedia

to read EXIF and shutter count data. It has the nice touch, and not just because it's free, of being able to hide the EXIF items you mostly are not interested in, and also to arrange items in the list top-to-bottom in your own preference, and you get a thumbnail of each image as you scroll through the folder. I put shutter count near the top just under the camera info. That way you don't have to scroll through yards of EXIF data to find it.....(Opanda)!
Regards, Tony

For my T3i I just use Magic Lantern firmware. It shows approximate, so I'm over 15k in around 5 months. I reallyyyyy want to upgrade, I feel like too much of an amateur walking around with it and what I'm limited with lol

gsgary said:
Just shoot until it breaks simple

It does matter though if you're looking to buy a used or sell one. It can be a deal breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back