Shutter question

akazoly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is possible to see how much photos I take with my camera? To obtain the shutter information ?

Thanks!

If you have Windows, open up a file with Opanda (Google that) and it'll tell you on a line somewhere the number of shutter activations (actuations). For Mac OS X, you can actually see it in one of the info screens of the preview program. Or this guy here has a pretty good EXIF viewer.

Mav, which software do you download for this. There are several different programs on the site.

Not sure (I have Mac OS), but the Opanda program I hear people talking about is freeware, so just look for whatever is freeware in the download section

If you have Windows, open up a file with Opanda (Google that) and it'll tell you on a line somewhere the number of shutter activations (actuations). For Mac OS X, you can actually see it in one of the info screens of the preview program. Or this guy here has a pretty good EXIF viewer.

This works on few cameras. Most cameras do not store an actuation count in the EXIF data. I know at least 3 Nikon models which store actuation data in the RAW file only, and even then not in the normally readable EXIF.

It works on all Nikon DSLRs from the D2-series / D70 and newer, right in the JPEGs. It's not stuff normally shown by most programs, hence needing an extended viewer that'll show all fields. Not sure about Canon or other makes. From the OP's avatar, looks like he's got a Nikon....

I get the D40X camera in December 2007. I see 5372 pictures in "IrfanView" at "Total picture row". I think is much, and strange because I shoot aprox. 400 pictures from february to march.

Mav, i am also running on max (leopard).

I have a D200 - should it show? and if so, how do i get to it?

Open up a JPEG with the Preview program, then go to the Inspector (Ctrl+I or something). There should be a couple of different sub-tabs in the window that pops up, and I see the shutter actuations in the "Nikon" tab. I never noticed this with Tiger, so I think it must ahve been one of the updates on Leopard. Otherwise try that other EXIF viewer. It actually gives far more complete data.

No Mav. Exactly what I said. It works on few cameras. Age has nothing to do with it.

The D200 IS newer than the D2, but does NOT display this information.

For The D200 and D50, and D80 users http://drchung.new21.net/previewextractor/ can extract the current actuation count from a RAW file only.

As I said before many cameras do not store this in EXIF data. And there's no pattern to which do and which don't, so don't automatically assume a newer camera will.

Ok so then why is it that on another forum for Nikon guys I see zillions of D200 going up for sale with people quoting the number of actuations "as per Opanda"?

It also says right on Opanda's support pages that....

Shutter Actuations for D100
--
Aaron Chong
2006-09-29 09:34
[Email: Hide]
Can the program determine the shutter actuations for a D100?

Opanda
2006-09-29 10:37
Opand IExif only support D200/D2H/D2X/D70(s)/D50(s) and later.
:confused:

Edit: here's another program that says it'll get actuation count from either JPEGs or RAWs on: D40/D50/D70/D80/D200/D2H/D2X image files

http://gogebic-pc.home.comcast.net/~gogebic-pc/shutter/whatitdoes.html

I've never heard of it only working on RAW, but have heard that you might need to use original JPEGs rather than processed ones. I have a D80 and can get the actuation count straight from the JPEG - no need for RAW. And I have a friend with a D50 that can get actuation count straight from JPEGs too. A lot of this must be software dependent. It's there, but the person writing the software has to program it to grab it in order for you to read it. And all software works differently.

Someone know, Nikon shoot some photo before sell the camera for testing purposes? I have 5400 pictures taken, but I never take 5400 picture, in my opinion. I get the D40X camera as new in december 2007.

Most reactions

Back