shutter speed

timetoshoot66

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How does shutter speed change a picture taken with a 35mm film camera?

The same way it changes the picture with a DSLR. It changes the amount of time the shutter curtain exposes the recording medium.

I use faster shutter speed for moving subjects and also to darken backgrounds while hand held. I have got into the habit of adjusting aperture last for exposure. Is it the right way? It is for me as @Gary A. (he is a pro) does it that way and it seems to make sense for how I shoot. I was kinda fumbling my way around until he suggested it. Really works well with my Pentax K1000 and Nikon F, as well as DSLR.

Shutter speed affects motion blur. You can either increase or decrease it based on the shutter speed chosen.

Shutter speed also affects exposure.

Note too that flash can be used to 'stop' motion instead of using shutter speed to stop motion. The short duration of the flash of light is what lets flash be used like shutter speed in some shooting situations to 'stop' motion.

Shutter and Aperture are best buds. You use them both together to create an image that is properly in focus, captured, exposed. If you have too closed an aperture with too fast a shutter speed for a particular lighting situation, you will have a very crisp, underexposed image. Too open and too slow, you have a very soft, over-exposed image.

@KmH you're right, it's more like a threesome. ;)
But even then... I try really hard not to bump the ISO because I hate grain with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. So, if you're like me, ISO is the last on your list of things to change. It's a big part of the reason I'm getting ready to upgrade my gear.

Honestly, if you had a more modern sensor than what you have in your D5000 you wouldn't be concerned with higher ISO whatsoever.

Rather "grain" than a dark, blurry, unusable image, imho.

Exposure Triangle ... 3 factors to it.
The older nikons were not very good at ISO. But the newer Nikons are thus ISO is more of a deciding factor in how you shoot.

There's been many discussions about higher ISO and it really comes down to how old a camera do you have versus a newer camera. Here's and Example: Do you use auto ISO?

@Braineack and @astroNikon Like I said, major factor in why I'm trying to upgrade. ;) Until now, it hasn't been too big of a factor because for years I've been shooting in bright daylight almost exclusively. But, now I find myself shooting in more shadowed forests and wanting to take on more events (with dark dance floors), so I need to get rid of the grain. With my personal work I want to be able to print large and if an image has a noticeable grain, it's not print worthy. It's right up there with printing less than 300 dpi, in my opinion.

@KmH you're right, it's more like a threesome. ;)
But even then... I try really hard not to bump the ISO because I hate grain with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. So, if you're like me, ISO is the last on your list of things to change. It's a big part of the reason I'm getting ready to upgrade my gear.

This attitude alone has probably cost more good images than any other way of shooting.

@Braineack and @astroNikon Like I said, major factor in why I'm trying to upgrade. ;) Until now, it hasn't been too big of a factor because for years I've been shooting in bright daylight almost exclusively. But, now I find myself shooting in more shadowed forests and wanting to take on more events (with dark dance floors), so I need to get rid of the grain. With my personal work I want to be able to print large and if an image has a noticeable grain, it's not print worthy. It's right up there with printing less than 300 dpi, in my opinion.
I was amazed from an original D70 to a D7000 years later. Then amazed again jumping to a d600 for low light ISO performance.
For example, look at the Dxo marks for Low Light ISO performance. The numbers might not mean much at first ==> Nikon D7200 vs Nikon D600 vs Nikon D5000 | DxOMark

roughly the D600 is 2x better in low light than the d7200 which is 2x better in low light than the d5000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back