shutter squeak

mkedre

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What do they mean when they say the shutter squeaks? I've seen it mentioned in some ebay auctions. Is this a big deal? Does it affect how the camera works?

It means that something is rubbing against something else, which overall is not a good thing.

Are you refering to Canon AE model cameras? They are notorious for developing shutter squeal, and many have it, but still function correctly.

I worked in a lab/camera store for 3.5 years and saw a lot of Canon AE models. I've only run across two that didn't have the squeal, but they all worked fine.

Matt's right. Most all the Canon A-series cameras have shutter squeal. It doesn't seem to affect performance, tho, at least it hasn't in mine.

Mine squeals about 60% of the shots I take, so I don't use it in quiet situations. They're still really nice cameras if you want a completely manual SLR. The other advantage is that really good lenses for the A- series can be had for a fraction of the price of their AF counterparts. I got a 135mm f/2.8 for my AV-1 for $25. The 135mm for my EOS system was over $250.

This is a lubricant problem that can and should be fixed if you intend to use your camera fairly often. It can do some serious damage if you leave it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back