Shy Butterfly Hiding

photorookie12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photorookie.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's one of a butterfly hiding. Nothing too exciting, except the fact that I cut off the head on purpose. In my previous post (croc shot post) I cut a croc, while it didn't get much adverse attention here, on an British forum it created quite the argument about framing, so I thought I'd post another non-conventional framing shot and see what you guys think? Let the slaughter begin :thumbup:

As always you'll find my own musings on my blog.

butterflyhiding_medium.jpg

the most interesting part isnt showing..that's too bad

Don't worry, there are plenty of pictures showing "the whole"...I'm just curious to see whether not showing the whole can create an interest. So far the verdict seems to be no, but it's still early days ;)

I would like it if the edge of the leaf was more lined up with the edge of the wing to create a sort of geometry / comparison of shape.

I think the wings are the best part, but I'm not a big fan of insects.

Boringg.. sadly.

Regards,
Jake

Come on guys I can't be the only one on this forum who thinks this shot is amazing! I think the wings are the most interesting part of a butterfly and I don't mind at all if the head is chopped.

The wings look sharp and beautiful. Don't let anyone's opinion get you down, keep experimenting with your composition.

I find the photo interesting, but I think a different background would have been more intriguing. The butterfly does pop against the green, but it does not allow much for the eye to fall to. I think that you would have been better off if the leaf in front was a much darker green, adding to the contrast. I do realize you cannot really choose where to position the butterfly though. =)

I like it as well :)

Thanks for all the feedback, love the fact that there's a bit of debate going on. If nothing else there seems to be a clear divergence of views on whether leaving out the head is or is not good in this case.

The thing everyone seems to agree on (including me) is that the leaf in front should do more, either be sharper, darker or something.

Most reactions

Back