Sigh, Again this year.

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last year I was asked to consider shooting some kids lacross games offering to pay me for the time and materials and whatnot. Shooting sports is not exactly my forte but I had done it before. I considered it and in the end opted to pass it up. I wasn't in the mood to actually work with my camera at the time.

Now, Again, this year I have been asked yet again to consider shooting some kids lacross games offering to pay me for the time and materials and whatnot. Since I spent my wedding savings on camera equipment I seriously think I need to accept this one.

Question is, What do I charge?

He told me to set a price, I know the prices to expect for film and printing, but what is my time and uninsured gear worth?

This kind of question may be better served asked in the forum section reserved for professionals who would have a better idea what to charge than the average layman. I would do a local study and see what other photographers in my area charge, and then use that as a guide.

BTW... uninsured + fast moving aggressive sporting event = good possibilities of a very unhappy battou with damaged equipment. Get your stuff insured, its not that expensive if you do your homework and find a good company.

This kind of question may be better served asked in the forum section reserved for professionals who would have a better idea what to charge than the average layman. I would do a local study and see what other photographers in my area charge, and then use that as a guide.

Well...I had intended to put it in "General Shop Talk" then I got yammerin on YIM with the owner of Photo Lucidity about some advertising and brain farted when I got back to this. :blushing:

As for what other photographers charge in the aria is something I'll have to look into though. The problem is finding them, most of the professionals in this aria are speciffically wedding photographers, there is almost no demand for sports photography here.

BTW... uninsured + fast moving aggressive sporting event = good possibilities of a very unhappy battou with damaged equipment. Get your stuff insured, its not that expensive if you do your homework and find a good company.

That was another reason I turned it down last year.

You could figure what you need to make per hour to make it worth your time, and then add the time up for the games, and the time requird to process the images, and any costs to you like equipment depreciation and insurrance, and quote that number. And then with the option of prints to sell, that would be bonus. Perhaps offer a number a bit higher than that, and see if they take it, if not you can negotiate and they will feel like they got a great deal and you will get what you need.

Question is, What do I charge?

Charge whatever your market lets you charge.

You have three options:

1) Talk to sports photographers in your area to find out what the going rate is.
2) Charge your regular hourly rate (if you have one).
3) Find out the client's budget for your services and go from there.

I tend to go with option three but will not go below a certain rate. In the end, option 3 leaves you room for profit. You may charge $50 per hour while your client is willing to pay you $200 per hour, so there is really no reason to go with $50.

<1) Talk to sports photographers in your area to find out what the going rate is.>

This is the part that makes me a little uneasy actually. What is the best way to find out this information? For instance, worse case, it seems a little forward to me to call up another photography studio, introduce myself as their competitor, then ask how much they charge for things (sports, or otherwise). Pretending to be a prospective client is an option, but then there's the issue of wasting their time and possibly even being spotted as a red herring when you get into answering questions about "So, what are you looking for in a photographer?"

Ultimately, I think that pricing one's worth can sometimes be more suitable than competitive pricing, but it depends on the niche and the particular market environment which would work best.

Chances are pretty good that parents are going to want digital copies or CDs and the like. Have you figured in time for scanning or the costs to have someone do it? Or perhaps digital versions would be something you could sell as a secondary product?

How much experience do you have shooting lacrosse?

This is the part that makes me a little uneasy actually. What is the best way to find out this information?

So far I never had a problem asking other photographers directly. I shoot a wide range and when I am doing something new that I am not certain about, I just call up other photographers, explain my situation, and let them know they can call me any time if they need help.

Likewise, I have no problem helping others out. Several newcomers have called or e-mailed me asking for advice and I gladly help out. I do not like this whole idea that each and every photographer could be competition and that we should not help each other.

In the end, quality and consistency prevail.

Charge whatever your market lets you charge.

You have three options:

1) Talk to sports photographers in your area to find out what the going rate is.
2) Charge your regular hourly rate (if you have one).
3) Find out the client's budget for your services and go from there.

I tend to go with option three but will not go below a certain rate. In the end, option 3 leaves you room for profit. You may charge $50 per hour while your client is willing to pay you $200 per hour, so there is really no reason to go with $50.

Of the three options the third is kinda where I am looking to go. He actually gave me a rough idea on that when he asked this year. He did not exactly tell me what he was willing to pay, but that he really did not want to foot the bill from last year that exceeded a grand. He also told me what he wanted, (and I quote) "Pictures for their scrapbooks that are not all blury", he then went on about his own personal attempts and how his camera could not seem to do the job. He wants prints that are better than his digital point and shoot can achieve. I still have to talk with him further about it, Likely Monday or the day after.

Have you figured in time for scanning or the costs to have someone do it?

Yeah, I'll be figuring in scanning time once I get a general idea as to what I can get away with time wise as well as how many frames he wants prints from beyond 4x6.

Or perhaps digital versions would be something you could sell as a secondary product?
Possible

How much experience do you have shooting lacrosse?

Truth is, None, all my sports shooting is limmited to soccer, Even then it was was with unsuitable equipment and nothing to right home about :(. However I can get ample access to the kids for practice shooting With the appropriate gear wile they practice in the back yard and I am planning to ask about getting practice shots during orginized team practices as well (at no charge of course). Games don't start for a month or so, so I should be able to get a few good solid hours of practice time and hopefully the kids used to seeing me there at the field.

Most reactions

Back