Sigma 105mm Macro?

DubbinTy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I used the search feature to see if this has been discussed before but i did not find anything. Does anyone on here use the Sigma 105mm EX DG macro? I read reviews online and looked at pictures taken with it and it looks like a pretty nice lens just wondering if anyone on here has the lens and would like to share what they like and dislike about the lens?

what I do not like the thin plastic outside and bad material inside, and warranty are bad, be careful.

I have the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro with Nikon mount - is that the lens you are referring to? I bought it because it was a very sharp lens and very well built. I've had no complaints and would not ever sell it - in fact I wouldn't even trade it straight across for the same Nikon lens. Nothing to dislike about the lens. If you have any specific questions let me know. Here's a sample or two:

2014-03-31%2009-50-07_v1_Detail-L.jpg

20160919_08-28-57-Edit-L.jpg

20160919_08-37-11-Edit-L.jpg

This is a macro lens, we're not talking about the size of less than 1 cm we are talking for distance that is less than fraction of 1milimetar, you have to controll focus with your body, and to shoot exactly in the right moment when focus point is in right place. This is the same rule for every lens with autofocus or manual focus.

This is a macro lens, we're not talking about the size of less than 1 cm we are talking for distance that is less than fraction of 1 milimetar, you have to controll focus with your body, and to shoot exactly in the right moment when focus point is in right place. This is the same rule for every lens with autofocus or manual focus. Tokina lenses are not my favorite, i like mostly Nikon, but Tokina 100mm macro? this is for me the best macro lens, as well as for you Sigma. Rings from Sigma this is a thin plastic as well as many other parts, interior parts are of lower quality. Tokina is from thick plastic, and inside most of the metal parts. Tokina is much stronger construction. Photos are extremely sharp. Tokina 100mm macro is good for every good photographer. When you break Sigma, you buy Tokina, she is from strong material, and the photos are pin-sharp believe me, I have nothing against you, neither against anyone else.

Tamron pioneered its use of industrial plastics in its lens barrels and focusing rings some 20 years ago: VERY good for lenses like their 90mm A-SP prime lens, the "plastic barrelled wonder" 90mm AF-SP macro that I own is 20-some-odd years old now and still plugging away!

METAL can transmit more shock to the lens, and suffers a lot on heavy, hard impacts; plastics can dissipate shocks and resist dings and dents when impacted. Metal is not, inherently superior to industrial plastics or more properly, polycarbonate materials in some parts of a lens. Sigma has made a LOT of lenses in the past with modern, industrial plastics, as has Tamron. Tokina on the other hand, has favored metal barrels and focusing rings for a long time.

In many corners of the photo world, there's an old prejudice against modern, industrial polycarbonate construction. The issue with Tokina that I have had in the past is what happens when their sliding A/M focus clutch conks out...or when the focusing ring STOPS functioning in manual mode...that's been Tokina's big problem.

If you do everything with this lens from a tripod, you won't even need auto focus or VR. I personally like to sneak up on critters like spiders and flies, hand hold and take their picture. To do this I use a Nikon AF-S VR 105 micro and I love it. Handheld I use VR, on, Macro Flash and AF-C as it adjusts to my movement back and forth. I usually shoot at f/22-f/32 to get as much as possible in focus. I honestly have never read anything bad about the Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina macro lenses. I personally love the build and feel of Tokina lenses.

Fly eating Tuna.small by TOM STRAIGHT, on Flickr

lightning bug.small by TOM STRAIGHT, on Flickr

Dung Beatle by TOM STRAIGHT, on Flickr

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back