Sigma 150-600mm Sports or Nikon 200-500

rajiv.dey1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I am lil confused over deciding on two lenses Sigma 150-600mm Sports and Nikon 200-500 mm

I am getting the following offer

1)Nikon 200-500 $1179.28 (US Dollar)

2) Sigma 150-600mm sports version with USB Dock $1940.59 (US Dollar)

3)Sigma 150-600mm sports version with Sigma TC1401 (1.4x USB Dock) $2164.50 (US Dollar )

Which one i should go for I own Nikon D750

explanation with taking photographs and its difference would be very helpful but not madatory

Thanks in advance

I would recommend if you can test them both. The Sigma sport is 2 pounds heavier then Nikon at 6 pounds where Nikon is 4 pounds so something to consider if you plan on hand holding. I also think the sigma is more versatile In focal range and IMO since your shooting FF D750 that extra 100mm reach is a plus especially if you have wildlife shooting in mind.

I would recommend if you can test them both. The Sigma sport is 2 pounds heavier then Nikon at 6 pounds where Nikon is 4 pounds so something to consider if you plan on hand holding. I also think the sigma is more versatile In focal range and IMO since your shooting FF D750 that extra 100mm reach is a plus especially if you have wildlife shooting in mind.
I have tested Nikon 200-500 mm it seems heavy but manageable unfortunately I am not getting Sigma 150-600 mm sports on rent my hard luck.. yes I have wildlife in mind.. :)

I shoot with the 150-600mm sigma contemporary version that sits around 4 pounds same as the Nikon 200-500 and its very manageable. I hand hold always and carry it around for hours.I would not want the extra weight of the sport version so I went with the contemporary version for Nikon Mount along with the USB Dock for calibrations and firmware updates. The dock already paid its self off for three firmware updates and very minor calibrations.

I shoot with the 150-600mm sigma contemporary version that sits around 4 pounds same as the Nikon 200-500 and its very manageable. I hand hold always and carry it around for hours.I would not want the extra weight of the sport version so I went with the contemporary version for Nikon Mount along with the USB Dock for calibrations and firmware updates. The dock already paid its self off for three firmware updates and very minor calibrations.
Mostly i am going to rent tamron 150-600 on 11th september.. let me myself compare the result with Nikon 200--500 fortunately I will be in the same blackbuck reserve to shoot so same shooting condition.. I have seen your protfolio its wonderful as I shoot mostly early hours I have to shoot Hight ISO 4000 i see some noise in mine but yours is crystal clear any tips you got for me and what is your thought on TC-1401 1.4x tele converter is it worth buying

I think you will be pleased with either one.The only tip I really can give is try to shoot In similar lighting for comparison and compare the VR of the Nikon to OS of the Sigma just see which one has a better stabilization system this may help for the time you may want to shoot slower shutter speeds hand held and of course which lens feel better for in its handling Hope to see some images you get which ever beast of a lens you choose.Thanks For the Compliment.

I think you will be pleased with either one.The only tip I really can give is try to shoot In similar lighting for comparison and compare the VR of the Nikon to OS of the Sigma just see which one has a better stabilization system this may help for the time you may want to shoot slower shutter speeds hand held and of course which lens feel better for in its handling Hope to see some images you get which ever beast of a lens you choose.Thanks For the Compliment.
What is your thoughts on teleconverter tc1401 1.4x

I won't use one but I can't say how it would work.

I shoot with a D750 and the Sigma 150-600 sport. It is a great combo to work with. I hand hold it all the time without any issue. I would not recommend putting any teleconverter on it, the image quality will suffer and autofocus will only work in very bright light. Renting the Tamron will give you an idea of the size and focal length but the performance of the two lens is very different.

These lenses are not made for teleconverters. You are better off cropping in after.

Honestly, I'd just get the Nikon 200-500 VR. Why? Because its a fixed f/5.6 and that means you can add the TC-14E 1.4x Teleconverter which means you'll get whopping fixed f/8 280-840mm (if my math is right, but it's probably wrong lol) zoom range which is crazy.

Just a thought anyways. Also..its a Nikon lens so if you decide wildlife photography isn't your cup of tea, the resale value holds a lot better than Sigma or Tamron (in my opinion).

Honestly, I'd just get the Nikon 200-500 VR. Why? Because its a fixed f/5.6 and that means you can add the TC-14E 1.4x Teleconverter which means you'll get whopping fixed f/8 280-840mm (if my math is right, but it's probably wrong lol) zoom range which is crazy.

Just a thought anyways. Also..its a Nikon lens so if you decide wildlife photography isn't your cup of tea, the resale value holds a lot better than Sigma or Tamron (in my opinion).
Thanks Did you shoot with tele converters anytime just curios how good the quality is

I shoot with a D750 and the Sigma 150-600 sport. It is a great combo to work with. I hand hold it all the time without any issue. I would not recommend putting any teleconverter on it, the image quality will suffer and autofocus will only work in very bright light. Renting the Tamron will give you an idea of the size and focal length but the performance of the two lens is very different.
Oh Thanks can you give me any pointer of this combo shootout.. also did you ever try the telconverter.. if you have a image with teleconverter with sigma sports please share with me

These lenses are not made for teleconverters. You are better off cropping in after.
Thanks by the way they say f8 teleconverters work fine

I'm speaking more to the end of practicality, versus what you technically *can* do.

There is two ways of going about getting more reach from a lens: Digitally crop in, or optically extend your reach.

In the case of a 150-600 or 200-500 lens, you really are already getting all you can out of the lens. These lenses do not fully take advantage of a 20+ megapixel sensor. This means that cropping in digitally will produce approximately the same result as using a teleconverter.

With something like a 600mm prime lens, a teleconverter makes sense. It will resolve so much detail for your sensor that a teleconverter will help. This isn't quite the same with a superzoom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back