Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 vs Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 for Nikon DX?

DaveAndHolly219

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a new general purpose/almost always on the camera lens for a Nikon D90 (I'll also be buying a secondhand D7100 soon).

I can either buy a new Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for $369 or a used Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 for $564 in excellent condition or for $379 in rougher physical condition, but still good glass.

What would you guys recommend? I know the 24-70mm is a major go-to must have lens for folks shooting on full-frame sensors, but the best all-around lens for a cropped sensor doesn't seem to get discussed as much.

Thanks in advance!

Well the 17-50 is pretty much the same field of view on the DX as the 24-70 on the FX. I guess it all depends on whether you want to upgrade to FX in the future.

I don't have any plans to move to FX in the immediate future, and even if I do, I'll still have one or two DX cameras hanging around.

Sounds like a no-brainer then, the 17-50mm option will fill the normal DX zoom range. Otherwise, you will almost certainly miss having the wider range on DX if this is your primary walk-around lens.

I used to have a D90 with the Sigma 17-50 2.8 - and I would absolutely recommend it. Very sharp lens that works great with a D90.

17-50mm is the normal utility zoom for a DX Nikon; 24-70mm is actually an okay OUTDOORS type of zoom for the person who does not want much of a wide-angle low end on the zoom, andwho favors more normal-to-short-tele focal lengths.

The 18-55 or 17-50 or 17-55 Nikkor, those types of zooms were designed specifically for DX cameras, so I would go with that focal length range for a D7100, to have the better wide-angle end of things.

I have the 17-50.. use it on my 7100 and 500 with great results. Wouldn't want to give up the short end of it, so I don't think I'd be as happy with the 24-70

I have the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 that I use on my D7000. It has a focal length that gives you wide angle to short tele. The 24-70 is designed to give you the same field of view on a full frame camera as the 17-50 gives you on a crop frame camera. Now, the 24-70 on your crop frame will be a moderate wide angle to moderate tele. If you are OK with that range then you will also be able to use the 24-70 with a full frame body if you should upgrade in the future whereas the 17-50 doesn't work well on full frame.

On the DX body,I agree on the 17-50 2.8. It's a great lens very sharp. If you ever do indoor shooting you will appreciate the wider angle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back