Sigma 18-250 OS DG - Problem??

YellowBay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.blacknine.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a Sigma 18-250 OS DG lens last month and it's a thing of lovelyness. Stuck it on the front of my 400D (Rebel XTi) and off I went.

However, a couple of weeks ago, I was cheerfully snapping away when the camera just completely froze on me. The power light stays on, but nothing happens. It sounds like the shutter is up and stuck. The camera won't even turn off.

Opening the battery door seems to reset everything, but I only get one or two more shots before it freezes again.

Initially, I thought the problem was with the camera, but it only happens with this lens. I'm thinking it may be something to do with the OS system pulling too much power from the battery.

Forgot to mention, I have the Double Battery Grip on there as well, the batteries are showing as full on the LCD (not convinced though, they do tend to pretend to be full, just before they go "OMG - I'm a flat battery)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Have you made sure the contacts are clean on the lens where they touch the mount? Are the aperture blades stuck?? Clutching at straws not having a problem like this before.

Sounds like it's time to send it in, or exchange it if you can - might be faster.

Being 3rd party has nothing to do with it, Nikon and Canon gear has it's issues as well.

Help!!!!:(
I just bought Sigma 18-250 OS lens. After shooting couple of pictures it turns my camera off. Not exactly...the camera just freezes. The only way to restart camera is to take the battery out! I am using canon eos 400d which has no built-in image stabilisation. Why I am mentioning it is because I read in this forum I shouldn't have both IS (camera and lens) on.
After shooting a picture, lens makes a "stuck" noise and freezes camera immediately.
What's the problem? Is it some sigma technical/manufacturing problem?
Does anyone know what can I do?
Ola

I have read that Sigma does not pay for camera manufacturers build information. So when they design their lenses they backwards engineer everything. Including the electronic inputs / outputs. I suggest both contact Sigma. You may find they will modify your lenses for free if it is a lens programing fault (you pay cost of shipping). They keep track of things and knows which lenses have issues with which cameras.

Do you have a 3rd perty vertical grip? if it is, remove the grip, use the camera normally, and than see what happens. I know some nikon cameras are fussy with 3rd party grips.

Most reactions

Back