What's new

Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 DC D vs Tamron 17-50mm XR Di-II LD SP ZL IF

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
230
Location
Baltimore
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I have the sigma mentioned above and I really like it. It takes great photos and performs well. I have no problems out of it. My question to you is: Would it be beneficial to part with this lens for the Tamron mentioned? I hear wonderful reviews on the Tamron and it really sounds like it is a wonderful piece of glass. Id love some advice here. Please dont say "if youre having no issues, why get rid of it". Thanks so mcuh.

Mark
 
Hi all. I have the sigma mentioned above and I really like it. It takes great photos and performs well. I have no problems out of it. My question to you is: Would it be beneficial to part with this lens for the Tamron mentioned? I hear wonderful reviews on the Tamron and it really sounds like it is a wonderful piece of glass. Id love some advice here. Please dont say "if youre having no issues, why get rid of it". Thanks so mcuh.

Mark

Never shot with the Sigma, but from what I hear, the HSM version is the one that is competitive with the Tamron. I have had the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for probably a couple years now and I love it. The sharpness wide open is very good...better than my 50mm f1.8 was wide open and pretty much on par with the 50 at f2.8. At f/4 and beyond it's extremely sharp....but I shoot wide open all the time unless there's more than one person in the shot to which I bump to f/4. I have never been dissapointed with the wide open performance.

Color rendition is great too. I love the colors it produces and almost has a warmth to it (without having a warm color tone)...hard to explain but I love the images it produces so I don't think you'll be dissapointed with it. As for whether you should upgrade...that's a matter of if the images the Tamron can produce are worth the price difference of getting the Tamron and Selling your Sigma.
 
Thanks for the response Nate. Its nice to see you back around.

Mark
 
B&H Photo has some hefty Tamron instant rebates now through November 31, 2010...
 
From what I read, the newer Sigma with the HSM is quite good.

And ... I like my Tamron (Canon mount).
 
The sigma I have is not the newer HSM model. I will look into the rebates for the Tamron.

Thanks everyone.
Mark
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom