Sigma 30mm 1.4 - any thoughts or recommendations on the lens?

rpm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
have an opportunity of getting this lens of a friend, was wondering if anyone has any real world feed back?

Never used it, but a quick google review search and found this. Ken Rockwell basically said, if you shoot canon, go for Canon 28mm 1.8. If you shoot Nikon go for Nikon 35mm 1.8

i also read the rockwell post. but i never know how much of it is hot air at times. thing is id be getting this at a cheaper price than the Nikon 35mm 1.8 by 200usd.

I have this lens. It's the sharpest lens I own...or at least it's the most capable of giving me very, very sharp photos. Unfortunately, it doesn't focus all that accurately, so using it at wide apertures is hit and miss.

I believe this is a common issue with this lens.

I have heard some say that it's image quality is almost on par with lenses like the Canon 24mm F1.4 L or the 35mm F1.4 L....which are both leaps and bounds above Canon 28mm F1.8.

Some of the newer camera bodies have a feature called micro adjust, where you can dial in specific focus adjustments and the camera remembers that setting for each specific lens. I'm thinking that with that feature, one could overcome the focus issue. Of course, you could send the lens (and probably camera) in for service and adjustment...but Sigma doesn't have a service centre in Canada, so I never tried that.

I've owned the Sigma for a few years now. I've never experienced any of the issues that some people refer to. It's sharp, color and contrast are fantastic. It's my most used lens, and is rarely off of my camera. I also own the Sigma 50 1.4, and it's even more awesome, but a little tight on a crop body to be a "general purpose" lens. If your friend will let you try it out, borrow it and do some shooting.

Most reactions

Back