People in Glasses

RedWylder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you go about taking portraits of people with glasses? I find that the reflections are annoying and take away from the eyes. Is there some way to keep them from reflecting?

I know I'm no expert, but won't a CPL take care of most reflections from glasses?

Hopefully the people are wearing non reflective lenses ;)

I have this issue with my son in law. I just have him remove his glasses or wear his contacts when we take his photo.

but I am going to keep this handy as I want to see what other people have to say :) ..

Get some frames without lenses.
Take some pictures of people without their glasses on so you have some "good" eyes to work with.
Failing that, do as I did on a VERY hungover weekend after my friends stag do... clone out the glasses :banghead:

I know I'm no expert, but won't a CPL take care of most reflections from glasses?
That depends on the reflective qualities of the glass...and even if there is Polarized Direct Reflection, it will never be more than 50% of the total direct reflection. So no, you can't get rid of it with a polarizer.

Is there some way to keep them from reflecting?
The reflection you see on the glasses is a direct reflection of the light source. Imagine that the glasses are a mirror, and if you are looking at them (from the angle of the camera), if you could see your light source in those mirrors...then the light source is in the 'family of angles' of the glasses, and thus you will see the direct reflection.

The key to getting rid of the reflection is to move the lights outside of the 'family of angles'. In other words, move your lights (or change the position/pose of the person) so that there are no light sources where they will be reflected by the glasses.
For example, if you are lighting your subject with 'short lighting', then you are much more likely to encounter reflection on the glasses. But if you use 'broad lighting' on them, the light won't be in a position to reflect in the glasses. Of course, there are other reasons why you would choose to use short or broad lighting...so all things must be considered.

A rather simple solution that often gets over looked, is to remove the lenses from the frames. It only takes a few minutes with the proper tool and it will fully solve the problem, not to mention the problem of distortion seen though the glasses.

Also, if that person is directly facing the camera, or close to it. Or if their hair style will allow. You can try lifting the arms of the glasses, so that the lenses tilt downwards a little bit. If you can tilt them enough to get rid of the reflection, without making it noticeable, then you have a solution.

How do you go about taking portraits of people with glasses? I find that the reflections are annoying and take away from the eyes. Is there some way to keep them from reflecting?
Yes, there is a way.

Do you shoot pool? It's the same thing as lighting reflective objects, and all about the angles. The inexpensive book Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition is a great introduction to photographic lighting, explains and illustrates the "family of angles", and is a valuable reference for any photographer to have at hand.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have this issue with my son in law. I just have him remove his glasses or wear his contacts when we take his photo.
That's the easy solution...but most people who wear glasses, wear them all the time. So photographing them without the glasses, isn't getting the 'real' them. If you know what I mean.

Great info Big Mike. Now I know not to rely on my CPL the next time I am working with someone with glasses.

That's the easy solution...but most people who wear glasses, wear them all the time. So photographing them without the glasses, isn't getting the 'real' them. If you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean .. :thumbup:

Thanks Mike and everyone else. I've tried having people remove their glasses and then we laugh at the photos that come out all squinty. hehe People who normally wear glasses and then take them off for a photo always have this tired look about them. I was actually shooting outside today and that's where the problem occured. All the snow was reflecting off the lenses. By accident I did discover that having the person tilt their head down a little helped with the reflection.

I also like the idea of tilting the glasses down .. never thought of that .. I will give that a try

......Also, if that person is directly facing the camera, or close to it. Or if their hair style will allow. You can try lifting the arms of the glasses, so that the lenses tilt downwards a little bit. If you can tilt them enough to get rid of the reflection, without making it noticeable, then you have a solution.
Yup, that's my inclination. Let's see, I know I've run a couple of test shots on this......

... hmmm, it should be here, where else could it be. Hang on a minute, I'll find it.

.... damn, forgot all about that set....

..... nope, please, just another minute or two.....

Ahhhhh, here we go.

DORK ALERT!

Eyeware as normally worn
LightingEyeglasses-normalrestweb.jpg

Arms lifted (and exaggerated slightly)
LightingEyeglasses-raisedweb.jpg

Fixate on the reflections only. The remainder is superfluous. :lol:

Love the hat...lol

Most reactions

Back