Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Fstoppers review is out

It does look like it has high sharpness....lotsa "bite" in the focused zone...background bokeh seems maybe a bit harsh, but still...for what it "actually is", and for "what it costs", I don't think there's another lens even close. Just getting to f/1.4 at 35mm has long been difficult and or costly...just the sheer, raw f/stop of the lens, plus the sharpness it seems to have...seems like a good deal for PJ work. I really like the 35/2 AF-D Nikkor, just for the focal length on FX, but it's not that "great" of a lens,really. This new Sigma looks to be a much higher-grade lens than the vast majority of Nikon's AF-D primes.

I will definitely be using it for some PJ work but it will likely replace my 50 1.4 as my walk around vacation lens. Every time I take the 50 out I always wish it was wider, but my 17-35 2.8 isn't fast enough for a lot of lower light walk around situations.

I'll post some shots as soon as I get it. I'll be at Disneyland this weekend and next. Might be a good test.

Waiting to see Nikon mount examples before I decide on this over the Nikon 35 f/1.4 G. Thought $700 difference was worth the wait. ;)
I may even rent them both for a week before I decide which way to go. I agree that the bokeh is a touch nervous, but I remember thinking the same thing about the Sigma 85 f/1.4.
I ended up going for the Nikon 85 f/1.4 D at the time, but I do notice many people like the Sigma 85's bokeh now.
Bokeh is rather subjective to some degree - within a certain range at least. I tend to favor "imperfect" glass if it renders in a unique way.

Do post some samples.

Got the lens today. I haven't taken it out to shoot real world stuff but here is a sample from my desk. From what I've shot so far it looks to be the sharpest lens I own. Feels good in the hands and looks good on the camera.

dsc5440o.jpg

Most reactions

Back