Sigma 50mm 2.8 Macro lens

Golfcart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Macro experts just wondering if a 50mm macro lens would be too short of a focal length. I pretty much have done no Macro photography except for the use of this lens at a local camera store. It's used, they allowed me to take it outside and shoot with it on my D7000. They're asking 199.99 for this lens, but its been there for about 3 months so I'm thinking about asking for a lower price.

I would be using this as my first experimental macro lens. My question is, is 50mm too short? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot guys

GC

Depends what kind of macro photography you want to get into. For copy work and abscrat its not impossible to work with; a little short, but you should have enough room even at 1:1 to light your subject with a flash setup if needed. For insects it will be challenging; typically 90mm or more is the advised starting point, but a 50mm should still give you enough range to work with without too much bother. You are pretty much at the lower limit though; 60mm tends to be a bit more popular if you can find and afford one; but otherwise the 50mm should work well.

what Overread said! I normally recommend beginners start with a 90 to 105 range... just makes it easier to light. And better for insects, as it won't spook them as much.

Okay cool, so don't waste my time with this used lens then? Save up for the 105mm?

Thanks!

GC

Most reactions

New Topics

Back