Sigma 600mm Mirror Lens: Variation

Violettpunkt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new here and this' my first post. I hope that i posted this in the correct section.

Well, this is how it goes. I have two Sigma 600 Mirror Lens.
Version 1: 86mm(front filter size) 22.5mm(rear filter size)
despite the shorter diameter, it is also slightly shorter

Version 2: 95mm(front filter size) 30.5mm(rear filter size)
fatter, longer

the other differences i noticed are their designs. But i understand that there are a lot of variations on designs and they shall not be of any importance to the performance so i will just skip that.

Okay, the question is, is there any optical differences between this two version?

Logically it seems that the bigger brother shd perform better, but is there any Pro to confirm this? I'm also guessing that the bigger brother is the later version, as all of the lens with EOS Mount have the big brother's specifications. and this lens exists long before EOS Mount i guess. I can also see that the version 2 looks more modern on the labellings and the finish.

I searched the net quite thoroughly about this lens but I can find nothing about these 2 variations. It's quite obvious that these variations exist, as u can see both versions of specifications showed up in different places but i guess many just take it as a typo. Some did actually posted this question but the others just ignore it, even those who actually do a review about this lens. So i think that this might be interesting as mirror lens is quite a hot topic especially among amateurs. Moreover, Sigma 600mm is one of the better performers. So it could be a good info for those who are interested.

To those who might ask why don't I just use it on my camera and do the test. Well, I just don't have the correct adapters and adapters don't come cheap(for me).

*p/s: pls excuse me for my English

Well, since you have both of them..why dont you take both, and do a direct comparision to find out which is the better performer?

Mark

To those who might ask why don't I just use it on my camera and do the test. Well, I just don't have the correct adapters and adapters don't come cheap(for me).

as i said above.. i dont hv the adapters for them.. getting adapters for both is expensive and unnecessary, as if i would get a adapter it's a good one with decent quality once and for all, and that means $$$.

Hope anyone who has experience with these two lens could enlighten me :$

Oh, sorry about that. Maybe I should have read all the way through it..:blushing:

Mark

Okay, the question is, is there any optical differences between this two version?
Yes, there are optical differences between the 2 versions.

Version 2 having the large diameter will collect more light, making it optically faster.

Catadioptric system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yerr.. i guess there is nothing hidden afterall, hmm. .

thanks! :)

Oh, sorry about that. Maybe I should have read all the way through it..:blushing:

Mark

sorry im still new here :blushing:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back