Sigma - AF 70-200/2.8 EX DG II APO MACRO HSM help...

Nick09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sigma | AF 70-200/2.8 EX DG II APO MACRO HSM IF TELEPHOTO ZOOM LENS FOR OLYMPUS & PANASONIC 4/3 (77MM) *FREE SHIPPING* | 579107 | Tri-State Camera, Video, and Computer

This is the site that I am thinking of buying a lens tomorrow (well... today) but this site has the lens for 60-100 bucks cheaper than i have found it anywhere else. M question is, is this lens a so called "gray market" lens? My understanding is that "gray market" lenses do not come with warranties from the manufacturer. However, this one does. Does that mean it is safe to order? My other concern was that it would be the older non-ii version or that it is used, but a website will sell you what they say it is right? The site says EX DG II APO and it says nothing about being used. Also, the newer version of this lens for Olympus, Minolta, Sony Alpha, Pentax, and Canon EOS is 699 while the older version for Canon EOS, Nikon, and Sigma are 729. Does this mean anything? I guess I am just looking for some confirmation that this lens is safe to order.

Last edited:
That one is NOT the newer HSM II version.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I haven't tried the this one but do have the newer HSM II version in Nikon mount. Great lens.

$699 seems to be about right for the lens you linked, at least that I've seen on others like Amazon. I can't tell you anything about the particular store you are looking at though. It looks like the are a brick&mortar which is comforting. If in doubt look at reseller ratings and also just give them a call to get a feel for the service.

How will i know if it is the newer version? The one on that site says EX DG II APO, as does many of the ones that come up in google that cost 750-800. Will there be something specific in the discription that will tell me outright that it is the newer version?

I'm sorry for my noobness, but I am so confused. How do I know if I am buying the new one? All of the lenses are labled with a II.

APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM for Four Thirds - Google Product Search

I have no idea which ones are which... But the one that I linked earlier has the same label... I think

I used the exact product label from the sigma site in my google search by the way.

Last edited:
Without getting into the core of your question, I'd stay away from this lens.
I had 2 copies of the mark I, and of mark II, the newest, and both were horrible. They have this condition where they front focus at 2.8, and start back focusing as you close down the aperture.And there's no way around this, no way to calibrate it. After close to a year of sending them to Sigma Israel, then Sigma Japan, this Sigma Israel again - i gave up.

I swore to never touch a Sigma again, and to talk people out of buying their products until they get their act together. Which the haven't yet done.

More to the point, if you do risk it and get this lens - make sure there's someone behind it, who can take care of you when problems arise.

Without getting into the core of your question, I'd stay away from this lens.
I had 2 copies of the mark I, and of mark II, the newest, and both were horrible. They have this condition where they front focus at 2.8, and start back focusing as you close down the aperture.And there's no way around this, no way to calibrate it. After close to a year of sending them to Sigma Israel, then Sigma Japan, this Sigma Israel again - i gave up.

I swore to never touch a Sigma again, and to talk people out of buying their products until they get their act together. Which the haven't yet done.

More to the point, if you do risk it and get this lens - make sure there's someone behind it, who can take care of you when problems arise.

Hmmmm .... I've heard of historical Sigma issues, but I guess I have been lucky. I have the 50-150 f/2.8, the 10-20, and the 100-300mm f/4 and they have all worked perfectly. I have also heard (although, fortunately not tested), that Sigma USA warranty service is excellent. This lens is so much cheaper than the alternatives and a good copy is a good lens, couldn't you send it back to Sigma USA if there were problems (assuming it is not gray market)?

BTW -- I believe that the Roman Numeral II indicates that it is the new version. A quick call to the vendor or to Sigma should answer that question.

Last edited:
Ok, I just called Tristate, and they told me that it was the older version. The question now is, is it worth the extra $100 to get the new one? I would like to order by the end of today, but I am not sure which one I should go for.

Ok, I just called Tristate, and they told me that it was the older version. The question now is, is it worth the extra $100 to get the new one? I would like to order by the end of today, but I am not sure which one I should go for.

Given the option, I think I would cough up the extra $100. I would also be wary of ordering ANYTHING from a place that didn't make that clear to begin with.

how was it not clear? it specifically said "HSM" if it was the newer one it would say "HSM II" although I'm not at all saying that Sigma's abbreviations are the easiest.

To Fidel, I've had and still have several sigma lenses including the HSM II version the OP is referencing. I've only had 1 issue (28-70 f2.8 extreme front focus) which Sigma promptly remedied without fuss.

the new version of this lens the OP is asking about has been absolutely stellar.

His original quote said "II", but he said they told him it is the older lens on the phone -- that is deceptive in my book. There is no reason why anyone should be selling an older version of the lens without making that clear to the purchaser. If you look on the Sigma website, they call it 2.8 II ... they do NOT call it HSM II.

Description of current lens from Sigma site: "APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM for Four Thirds"

I ordered the newer version today (I hope). Thank you all for your help. I guess it was just a matter of calling the company and finding out which version it was.

I had one of the two older generation lenses (with the "honeycomb-esque" grip), and it was soft as a babies bottom at F2.8. At F4, it was wicked sharp, but I didn't pay the extra cash to have a lens that was literally unusable at the widest aperture. Focus was accurate and everything else was excellent. But still... I hope it has a decent return policy if you have the same issue.

I'm completely happy with mine. At 2.8 it's a little soft, but i'd hardly call it unusable. Plus the only other real option would be to spend nearly double the cost of this lens for the Nikon, so technically, i'd call it paying a little less, not extra... IMO for the price, it's a great lens.

Sigma - AF 70-200/2.8 Sigma - AF 70-200/2.8 EX DG II APO MACRO HSM help...EX DG II APO MACRO HSM help...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back