jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking at adding a 150-600mm lens to my kit, and am looking at both the Tamron G2 and the Sigma Contemporary. For folks who have either, what is your experience? Any have both? They both have their good points, with the Tamron having the moisture sealing, and the Sigma's lower price point. I've tried a teleconverter with my Sigma 50-500mm, but it forces me to use manual focus for that extra reach, and the focus is so touchy that more often than not, it's not quite in focus. Manual focus is also a challenge with wildlife shots, because they won't listen to me when I yell, "Stand still, will ye!" Looking forward to all y'all's input. Thanks!

I've got the first gen of the Tamron lens, it's really good (and I've got a pretty sharp copy). The 600mm end is great. If I was buying again I'd probably go for the Sigma, as I think the copy variation is a bit more consistant and they tend to be slightly sharper. If you need weather sealing there's the sports version, or if it's a nice to have the contemporary is more likely to be the better buy and have a better resale value than the Tamron.

At the end of the day, either is a decent choice!

I have the Tamron G2. I really like it. I got a good copy. It can be a little soft sometimes on the long end, but I think they both have that issue. I went with the Tamron in part due to weather sealing since I knew I'd use it at the beach and outdoors a lot. It can also be used as a push/pull lens as well as rotated. The Tamron has 3 different stabilization modes even though I don't change it very often. I think what did it for me was the when the apertures changed through the focusing range if you want or need to use it wide open.
Modelf/5.0f/5.6f/6.3
Tamron 150-600 G1150-225mm226-427mm428-600mm
Tamron 150-600 G2150-212mm213-427mm428-600mm
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary150-179mm180-387mm388-600mm
It focuses well and quick for me. I do get more misses at the long end with moving subjects but I think that is to be expected although it could be my technique.
Here are some shots from our beach trip this past fall. They are SOC and one extreme.
Florida 2021_0790 by Steven Emmons, on Flickr
Florida 2021_0834 by Steven Emmons, on Flickr
Florida 2021_0652 by Steven Emmons, on Flickr
Florida 2021_0495 by Steven Emmons, on Flickr
I hope this is helpful. If you have any other questions just let me know.

I use the G2 also. I think its a good consumer lens. Not stellar. Sharpness drops above 500mm and wide open, so for shots where sharpness is a priority I try to keep it at 500mm and f/7.1. I shoot it hand held and it is a workout. It has given me a lot of shots I love.

I ended up going with the Sigma due to cost constraints, which is where I had been leaning. Both lenses have their nice points, but neither is a Canon L lens, and it ended up coming down to what I was willing to squeeze out of my stock portfolio, which is slowly dwindling. :)

Most reactions

Back