SIGMA APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM and Nkon D7100

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm very seriously considering purchasing this lens (http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/apo-50-150mm-f28-ex-dc-os-hsm) as it fits well with my current D7100, Tokina 11-16mm and Sigma 17-50mm lenses to give me that reach out past 200mm. Yes, I know I can get a 70-200 FX/DX, but that would leave a gap that I would just have to buy another lens to fill, and I would prefer not to have to do that. This is a straight up DX lens and DxOMark rates it higher then Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, and the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon

1. Has anybody got this lens and used it on the D7100? How does it perform for you?
2. There have been issues with it back focusing, was it easily resolved if you had the issue?
3. And my biggest question and concern - I talked with Sigma today and they mentioned this lens is now discontinued. Once the stock is gone it's gone. I'm very VERY leary about purchasing a lens that is no longer produced and has known issues with it.

So I come to those of you with knowledge and experience in the Photoworld.... Am I crazy for seriously thinking about purchasing this lens despite the known issues??

Thanks for your time, consideration and response.

Hi all,

I'm very seriously considering purchasing this lens (http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/apo-50-150mm-f28-ex-dc-os-hsm) as it fits well with my current D7100, Tokina 11-16mm and Sigma 17-50mm lenses to give me that reach out past 200mm. Yes, I know I can get a 70-200 FX/DX, but that would leave a gap that I would just have to buy another lens to fill, and I would prefer not to have to do that. This is a straight up DX lens and DxOMark rates it higher then Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, and the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon

1. Has anybody got this lens and used it on the D7100? How does it perform for you?
2. There have been issues with it back focusing, was it easily resolved if you had the issue?
3. And my biggest question and concern - I talked with Sigma today and they mentioned this lens is now discontinued. Once the stock is gone it's gone. I'm very VERY leary about purchasing a lens that is no longer produced and has known issues with it.

So I come to those of you with knowledge and experience in the Photoworld.... Am I crazy for seriously thinking about purchasing this lens despite the known issues??

Thanks for your time, consideration and response.

I use a sigma 70-200 mm OS HSM myself, always had very good success with it and overall have been happy with the lens. I know a lot of people also shoot the Tamron 70-200 mm VC version and everyone I know who has it seems to hold it in very high esteem. One thing I would note, I think the backfocusing issue has probably been overreported to a certain extent. When I first started using mine I noticed that I would get a certain percentage of blurry, out of focus shots. When I examined the EXIF data I noticed it always happened when I was shooting at higher shutter speeds, usually in excess of 1/500. After a bit of research I started shutting the OS system off, and sure enough never had another focus problem again. Now I only use the OS system when shooting at lower shutter speeds, works like a charm. So I wonder if maybe a few other folks had this same issue and just assumed the problem was with the AF system.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a straight up DX lens and DxOMark rates it higher then Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, and the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon

no.

Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO HSM Nikon on Nikon D7100 versus Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon on Nikon D7100 - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

higher = better:
overall 18 < 23
sharpness 11 < 18

lower = better:
transmission 3.5 > 3.3
distortion .2% > .1%
vignette -.9 > -.4
ca 10 > 9

This is where I saw it Brian
Best Zoom models for the D7100 - DxOMark

Just the DxOMark and Sharpness rating... shows Sigma 50-150 is indeed better.

I actually just bought one of these last week for my d7100.. So far I love it. I havent experienced any back focusing problems with it, i also have just been playing around. Haven't really had the time to get out with it. The focus is fast and quiet, which is a change from my pretty loud sigma 24-70 f2.8. The OS works very well too. I'm no pro but it seems to be working awesome with my d7100, and for a pretty reasonable price. Heres a quick shot of my buddies dog with it $DSC_2157.jpg

I actually just bought one of these last week for my d7100.. So far I love it. I havent experienced any back focusing problems with it, i also have just been playing around. Haven't really had the time to get out with it. The focus is fast and quiet, which is a change from my pretty loud sigma 24-70 f2.8. The OS works very well too. I'm no pro but it seems to be working awesome with my d7100, and for a pretty reasonable price. Heres a quick shot of my buddies dog with it View attachment 78846

Good to know it works well with the D7100, nice picture as well.

I've used mine for the past 3 years. Used it on my D90, D7000, D7100, and have had no complaints at all as long as the light is good. In low light it loses contrast fast but when there is plenty of light it works great.

Edit ... My mistake! Somehow I looked at 50-150 and my mind converted that to 150-500. I do NOT have the 50-150 lens.

Last edited:
I think there is a bit of confusion in this thread.. the OP asked about the 50-150 OS version. There were 2 older 50-150 non OS versions.. The OS is supposed to be very good but it is pretty large. The OP did not ask about the 150-500 at all...

This is a straight up DX lens and DxOMark rates it higher then Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, and the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon

I would look at more reviews on this.

Out of Canon, Nikon, Tamron, and then Sigma- I have only seen Sigma at the bottom.

I have seen several reviews from others besides DxOMark that give it a high rating as well.

Sigma AF 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM (DX) - Review / Test Report

Sigma Lens: Zooms - Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Sigma 50-150 mm f/2.8 APO EX DC OS HSM review - Summary - Lenstip.com

I WAS talking about the 50-150mm os. It works great with my d7100

Most reactions

New Topics

Back